NHS service is terrible

Options

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    As a recipient of emergency response and care by the NHS, I'm lucky enough to be able to say I've had more value than my lifetime's contributions to the NHS. But that's how all insurance works, the cost is spread over many people, making it affordable to those who earn a living.

The NHS has its share of problems, but it's still a service envied by many.

I had a knee replacement a few years ago. The Orthopaedic Department was considered one of the best in the country. Had I paid it would have cost £10 - 12k. Being grateful doesn’t even begin to suggest how I felt. The follow up physio at our local hospital was excellent as well.

A lot of people don’t realise how lucky we are in this country to have things like that free.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    14 years ago I had an op on the nhs as a day surgery patient, the operation should have taken 1 hour max, due to complications I was in theatre for 7 hours, my nhs consultant only had 1/2 days list for that day, the rest were private, his private patients were cancelled to save my life!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • FtbDreaming
    FtbDreaming Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    . Surely this would be an improved service if privatised. Bloody NHS, not worth the money we pay!

Go private then.....
    my problem is with the millions that abuse the NHS whether thats through regular reattenders demanding tests, drugs or services, or those that just abuse the staff for no reason whatsoever. If people were made to pay at least a token amount they might think twice before wasting their own and our time in hospital and gp surgeries, this freeing up time and resources for those that genuinely need it.

Im sure one day you will get your £4000 worth of NHS treatment. Probably when you don’t expect it and tax or NI contributions will be the last thing on your mind.
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 
    Current Balance: £60,200 (59.9% LTV)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13
    MFW2021 #26 £1184.71
    MFW2022 #11 £197.87
    MFW2023 £785
    MFW 2024 £528.15

Determined to make it! 
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 January 2020 at 9:07AM
    Options
    I agree that the NHS service is not as good as it could/should be. I feel your frustration, especially as I have worked within the NHS for well over 20 years.

Treatments nowadays costs way more than they did 20 years ago and we are becoming more efficient at keeping people alive for longer. The population generally is getting older and sadly older people get ill more often and cost a lot of money to make better. We have a system put together in the 50s that is now having to deal with the post war baby boom generation who are now hitting their 70-80s (similar issue with pensions - but another topic)

Successive governments (BOTH) have failed to invest properly in frontline services and have merely encouraged multiple levels of management and admin. For those who want to just blame the Tories - you are wrong. If Tony B had invested a fraction of the cost of his illegal war into the NHS, it would be in a much stronger position today

Pay rises (which do affect recruitment and retention) have been equally poor under both governments as well and the "golden" pension is no longer such - just good/v.good now. Pension age has also been increased from 60 to 67 with big penalties for retiring early. Don't know about your industry, but there is no way I will be able to mentally function in my role as effectively when I am 67

My view is that the NHS should NOT be controlled by any government and a separate national group should run it - the NHS needs taking out of politicians control to stop it being used a political football.

We still get pretty good value for money - could it be better - of course, but it could be a whole lot worse and/or more expensive.

If you want to use the "I've paid in 4K a year" argument - since you have at least one child, I would figure you probably still owe some money currently - maternity services etc don't come cheap.

You are of course free to explore private options if you are unhappy with the current system
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    Surely this would be an improved service if privatised. Bloody NHS, not worth the money we pay!

Take a healthy profit out of the money you pay and even less would be left for service.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Barney_Rubble_0403
    Options
    Kind of ironic I suppose but you can have all the private health care in the world but when you dial 999 it's the nhs that turns up to save your life.
    ::A
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kind of ironic I suppose but you can have all the private health care in the world but when you dial 999 it's the nhs that turns up to save your life.

Yes the Duke of Westminster went to the Royal Preston Hospital as an NHS patient as far as I know but unfortunately didn't survive his heart attack.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I've just re-read the OP. 4 weeks is not all that long (unless they suspect cancer - which is obviously not the case or it wouldn't be postponed). I know if you're in pain it feels like forever though.

The NHS is pretty great at keeping people alive, but the lack of money means tight guidelines which are not so great at ensuring quality of life.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    14 years ago I had an op on the nhs as a day surgery patient, the operation should have taken 1 hour max, due to complications I was in theatre for 7 hours, my nhs consultant only had 1/2 days list for that day, the rest were private, his private patients were cancelled to save my life!

We are blessed and lucky to have the NHS. I fear for its survival.

If you earn over about 35k you are considered a contributor rather than a taker - I have no idea how it’s broken down though.

I’m a contributor, but how much NHS use would it take to make me a taker?

Anyway, may it last our lifetimes and beyond.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    We are blessed and lucky to have the NHS. I fear for its survival.

If you earn over about 35k you are considered a contributor rather than a taker - I have no idea how it’s broken down though.

I’m a contributor, but how much NHS use would it take to make me a taker?

Anyway, may it last our lifetimes and beyond.

Really? Are you just considering NI or all other forms of taxation?

Does that cover educating your average 2.2 children for example?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure