NHS service is terrible

Options
lazer-zxr
lazer-zxr Posts: 446 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 22 January 2020 at 11:39AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Just a bit of a vent.

We don't use the NHS much.

Just had an appointment for a clinic for my daughter postponed for 4 weeks.

I pay around £4,000 a year. £4k a year!!!! towards the NHS , the service I receive is not worth it! :mad:

This wouldn’t be acceptable for paying customers in the world outside of the NHS, and I am left frustrated and disappointed in the treatment we receive yet again.

Surely this would be an improved service if privatised. Bloody NHS, not worth the money we pay!

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    Just a bit of a vent.

I pay around £4,000 a year. £4k a year!!!! towards the NHS , the service I receive is not worth it! :mad:

This wouldn’t be acceptable for paying customers in the world outside of the NHS, and I am left frustrated and disappointed in the treatment we receive yet again.

Surely this would be an improved service if privatised. Bloody NHS, not worth the money we pay!

Not sure how you calculate that figure as NI contributions go towards a number of things, not just your NHS "cover".

In one respect I share many of your frustrations however you have to balance that against totally unlimited cradle to grave medical cover.

I suspect you would pay more than £4K per year for such unlimited cover in somewhere like the USA.
  • lazer-zxr
    Options
    Thanks, good points.... I didn't use NI, I guestimated at 20% of income tax, which is roughly what has been touted about in the news recently.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    Look at countries who have to pay for their healthcare and feel a lot more grateful for what you get. £4k would get you hardly anything.
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a bit of a vent.

Well that is not how taxation works- you are not paying for a specific service (or level of service).
    Also, how much is your daughter paying in tax?

But.... if you do follow that level of thinking, then you will be hugely in debt if you ever have cancer, are admitted to intensive care, or need surgery.

On a more practical level, it may be more useful to discuss your concerns with the local hospital!
  • Binkie_Huckaback
    Options

Communal health insurance will always mean that some put more in than they take out, and vice versa. You could always put a bit of money aside for private health care if you don't want to wait.

I do wonder what will happen to our NHS seeing as we've got a Tory government for the foreseeable future, though..
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    GBNI wrote: »
    Look at countries who have to pay for their healthcare and feel a lot more grateful for what you get. £4k would get you hardly anything.

Indeed. More than a few people are having to pay that for 2 months' worth of insulin in the US. £4000 certainly wouldn't get you an operation, unless (maybe) it's something minor with only local anaesthetic.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a bit of a vent.

As a recipient of emergency response and care by the NHS, I'm lucky enough to be able to say I've had more value than my lifetime's contributions to the NHS. But that's how all insurance works, the cost is spread over many people, making it affordable to those who earn a living.

The NHS has its share of problems, but it's still a service envied by many.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• belfastgirl23
    Options
    I would be very wary about taking your figures from ‘reporting’. When I look at my tax breakdown from 2017-18 I funded the NHS to the tune of £2k and I’m reasonably well paid. In that time I tripped and fell and needed stitches in Casualty, they also gave me some painkillers. I can’t imagine I’d have had much change from $1k in the US for that.

It is incredibly frustrating to have an appointment cancelled I know but I don’t think it’s a reason to say that the whole NHS should be junked.

Also just to add, this is exactly the opinion that US health insurance companies want you to have. Cos then they can come into the UK, tear the NHS apart, harvest any profit making capacity, and start charging UK citizens through the nose for healthcare. So be really really careful what you wish for.

Personally I’m happy to fund the NHS and very grateful that I haven’t needed it more. And what’s more I’d pay more if I had to in order to improve the level of service.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Title should read - NHS horribly underfunded by the Tory government. That's what it is, your wait is because they're understaffed and underfunded. Understaffed because a lot of people are leaving - foreign nurses leave partly due to Brexit!

I have a friend who relies on the NHS and has so many problems with the NHS - appointments being cancelled, postponed, not getting the operations he needs due to difference of opinion, NHS not communicating between departments. He's still happy to have the NHS as if he was in the USA he'd be bankrupt!
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    How old is your daughter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts