Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MSE Poll: How much do you spend on holidays in a year?

New Post Advanced Search

MSE Poll: How much do you spend on holidays in a year?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
11 replies 1.2K views
MSE_KarlMSE_Karl MSE Staff
175 posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll started 21 January 2020
It's January, peak holiday-booking season, the time of year when travel firms compete for our cash with special offers and deals.

So this week, we wanted to know how much of your income you spend on them.

How much AFTER-TAX income do you spend on all your holidays (UK and abroad) in one year?
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you are retired on a low income it is not easy to have a holiday but then when you are retired, what do you need to have a holiday to get away from?

My answer was based on when I was last working full time so it was about 4 times monthly take-home pay - £4000
  • ginger_chocolateginger_chocolate Forumite
    106 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Always feel slightly guilty about my holiday spending (about 2-4 weeks income most years, but twice that last year when we had a "big" holiday as a one off) - this poll makes me feel a bit better as apparently I'm fairly normal!
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As a single adult I've not holidayed as a rule.

I did pay £80 in 1987 for a week in an annexe at the seaside.
    I did go camping in 2018, costing me about £30 + £20 or so fuel.

That's been it in, say, 40 years of being an adult who could theoretically go on holidays.

For one person, they're very expensive ... and what are you going for? Plodding around alone (in the rain in England) is something you can do at home without going away and picking the worst week.
  • MightMouseMightMouse Forumite
    24 posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    Quite surprised to see how much of peoples income they spend on holiday.
  • ginger_chocolateginger_chocolate Forumite
    106 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    MightMouse wrote: »
    Quite surprised to see how much of peoples income they spend on holiday.

Holidays are really important to a lot of people so they happily sacrifice other things to be able to spend on them. I have one middle-high income friend goes abroad 6-8 times every year, but lives in a tiny flat, with no car and rarely spends money on any other non-essentials. She'd rather spend her free time travelling the globe than have the nice house that she could otherwise afford. Horses for courses (I would worry about my carbon footprint though...).
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since we retired we don’t usually bother with holidays.

A couple of years ago it was our 20th anniversary and we splashed out a bit on a 2 Centre holiday in Cumbria and Northumberland. It was very nice but afterwards we realised we had spent a lot of money and the holiday became a distant memory too quickly.

As we live in a lovely part of the country we have lots of days out and the occasional overnight stay, sometimes we have a “staycation” and go out for nice meals.

As Duncanthedog said, once you’re retired do you really need a holiday?

We have some wealthy friends who spend lots of time and money on holidays and their poor designer cats spend a lot of their life in the cattery. I would hate to do that.
  • Wow. Our holiday spending has increased quite a lot over the last few years and I've been feeling really rather guilty about it, but we only spend 3.5 weeks' income on holidays a year. I'm really surprised to see how much more most people spend! (Not criticising, just really interested!)

(If you count spending meals out at home as well as when we're away - which is a big part of our holiday budget because it's a big part of the fun - then it does go up a bit, but still wouldn't take us up above the 4 week section.)
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • CharllieSaysCharllieSays Forumite
    79 posts
    Haven't been on holiday in over a decade, as I didn't enjoy travelling alone. But I live near(ish) the beach and only visit during the summer, so it feels like I'm on holiday if I take long weekends off work. I guess I could pay to do that in another country, but I don't see the point.
    Savings/Investments: £34,210.36

Daily Breathing Salary (DBS): £1.14

Debt: £0.00 :j
  • Dineen33Dineen33 Forumite
    303 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We dont go on holidays. Cant stand the other holidaymakers.

Almost everywhere is spoiled by other people.

Yes, I know, I'm a miserable "B".
  • Molly_MulldoonMolly_Mulldoon Forumite
    10 posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Couldn't agree more :rotfl: