SSE. Letter. Your energy meter has expired.

Options
MacMickster
MacMickster Posts: 3,630 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have received a letter from my current electricity supplier, SSE, telling me that my electricity meter has expired (odd terminology) and needs to be replaced.

I appreciate that meters do need to be replaced from time to time, but the current meter was only replaced around 10 years ago.

I am sceptical of this letter as all of the additional info seems to be about smart meters and the website that it refers me to to arrange the replacement is also purely to "upgrade" to a smart meter.

Since joining SSE only 6 months ago I have been bombarded with calls and emails asking me to change to a smart meter and have always refused. Is this likely to be legitimate that my meter really NEEDS to be replaced and, if so, can I insist that it is not replaced with a smart meter?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this likely to be legitimate that my meter really NEEDS to be replaced and, if so, can I insist that it is not replaced with a smart meter?
    1. Maybe.

2. Yes.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2020 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I have received a letter from my current electricity supplier, SSE, telling me that my electricity meter has expired (odd terminology) and needs to be replaced.

I appreciate that meters do need to be replaced from time to time, but the current meter was only replaced around 10 years ago.

I am sceptical of this letter as all of the additional info seems to be about smart meters and the website that it refers me to to arrange the replacement is also purely to "upgrade" to a smart meter.

Since joining SSE only 6 months ago I have been bombarded with calls and emails asking me to change to a smart meter and have always refused. Is this likely to be legitimate that my meter really NEEDS to be replaced and, if so, can I insist that it is not replaced with a smart meter?

If you don't want smart meters, then there is no obligation to have them.

If the meter need to be replaced due to end of life, then you must allow it's replacement.

There are some reports that non-smart metering equipment is in short supply, so you may have what looks like a smart meter fitted, but the smart metering itself will not be active.
    (but there seems a plentiful supply around here, probably as a result of many opting for smart meters, so lots of old dumb meters around, once they have been checked over and recalibrated)
  • jackandcoke
    Options
    this is what suppliers have been waiting for; heritage meters coming to the end of their life. Now they can get Smart Meters out there as they can say they no longer have stock of heritage meters
    Honest? Probably......sort of.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Pretty much the current certification period (life span) for all the modern cheap meters.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if so, can I insist that it is not replaced with a smart meter?

To add.

Yes, but you will probably just get a smart disabled meter as those are the only ones they buy any day.

If smart worries you that much (it has no reason to, if youi approve or not it is here and has benefits), that might be too much for you? But it makes no difference. All modern meters are programmable and can be pretty much whatever is required of them.
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »

If smart worries you that much (it has no reason to, if youi approve or not it is here and has benefits)

Smart meters undoubtedly have benefits - but not for the consumer.

Thanks for all the replies. Fitting of a dumb meter now arranged.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport