Car debts, are they wiped the same as normal debts?

Options
Not me by the way, I have never drove in my life.

I have a friend who a few years back was sectioned after a bad period in his life with multiple close family deaths and turned to drink for a short period and never fully recovered and was out for work for over 18 months due to the health and now can only work part time.

He said its almost 6 years till his last payment, its about £3500 he still owes. He is in a financial state at moment.

Scotland by the way.

Comments

• A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think regardless of the legal details, your friend is quite likely to lose their car if they go bankrupt.

If the loan is secured against the car, which is usual, then it's not covered by the bankruptcy but the lender can repossese the car if payments are not paid. If the loan is not secured against the car then it will be sold to pay off the debts. (In Scotland a car of value under £3000 can be kept, his is obviously above that).

If he racked up the debts while he was mentally ill, creditors may be willing to write them off or come to an agreement as part of a voluntary code of practice.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A_Lert wrote: »
    I think regardless of the legal details, your friend is quite likely to lose their car if they go bankrupt.

If the loan is secured against the car, which is usual, then it's not covered by the bankruptcy but the lender can repossese the car if payments are not paid. If the loan is not secured against the car then it will be sold to pay off the debts. (In Scotland a car of value under £3000 can be kept, his is obviously above that).

If he racked up the debts while he was mentally ill, creditors may be willing to write them off or come to an agreement as part of a voluntary code of practice.

He doesn't own the car anymore, it was wrote off a few years ago after he collapsed at the wheel due to his health issues and insurance was paid out which he used to live off after he was unable to go back to work.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When did he last knowledge the debt, last payment for example?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,969 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    He said its almost 6 years till his last payment, its about £3500 he still owes. He is in a financial state at moment.

Can you just clarify, has it been 6 years since his last payment, or 6 years until he`s due to finish paying for it, your post is unclear ?

I`m going to assume its the former, in which case the limitations period in Scotland is 5 years, so if no payment or written acknowledgement has been made in those 5 years, the debt will now be extinguished, and he will not have to pay it.

The same will apply to any other debt he may have.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oops sorry I mistyped I meant 5 years since he last paid as of April this year, so they have a few months to chase it up I was thinking of 6 years in my head.

Its hard typing in second hand information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure