PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A valid complaint against solicitor?

Options
2»

Comments

• luees
    luees Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    We had both given consent for it to be made out to both of us. I have evidence of that. I also have evidence of their admission of the error as it was in the letter to him demanding he return it and they expressed shock that he had taken advantage of the error.

It has been very stressful as you can imagine. Ultimately, I just need to be able to pay my taxes as the rest of the money should be being split between the children eventually. I believe he will still do that - he’s just trying to make me suffer.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The issue isn't the solicitor. A single-named cheque can be paid into a joint account.

The issue is your ex. He paid it into the wrong account, and is now refusing to pay you the half he owes you.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand why you are racking up any fees if the solicitor made a mistake. I hope you haven't paid these fees while a complaint is underway.

You need to follow the complaint procedure which would have been sent to you when you engaged the solicitor. If you no longer have it then it is probably on their web site - if not call them to find out.

Only once you've exhausted the solicitor's complaint procedure you can take it to an ombudsman. Don't employ another solicitor - that's just money down the drain at this age.

As has been said, if the money had been paid into your joint account there would have been nothing to stop your ex husband transferring it to his own account. Personally, I would not have a joint account with an ex.
  • luees
    Options
    Unfortunately I have paid the fees as I received a reminder this week (despite not having received the bill that they said they emailed last month) and felt under pressure not to incur the further charges for non payment. I had given the ex a couple of months to do the right thing (my grown up children had also tried to persuade him) and h strung us all along. I had to pay £500 to initiate the letter that was sent to him last month and then received a further bill after that for £570 something.

I have made an enquiry to the ombudsman. If the error hadn’t been made and also, if they had actually carried out the threat in the first letter to him I wouldn’t have incurred these fees.
  • luees
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The issue isn't the solicitor. A single-named cheque can be paid into a joint account.

The issue is your ex. He paid it into the wrong account, and is now refusing to pay you the half he owes you.

But surely, if it had been made out to both of us as it should have been, it would have prohibited him from paying it in?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good grief! Why are you paying them?

Look up th firm's complaints procedure and follow it. As welas complaining about the missing money, complain about the fees you are being charged.

If you don't get saisfaction in response, report it to the ombudsman.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    luees wrote: »
    But surely, if it had been made out to both of us as it should have been, it would have prohibited him from paying it in?

It wouldn't have prohibited him from drawing it all all of the joint account though. You need to close that ASAP.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport