I don’t know what to do

Options

Comments

• Scotsgirl74
    Options
    Do you mean any shortfall of the mortgage company sell My flat will be a non priority debt?

Are we able to approach the bank to see about removing my name from the mortgage on our home in case anything should happen in the future?
  • Jonathan_Kelvin
    Options
    Our mortgage in the house is now smaller than the flat. We would prefer to stay where we are as we were helped with the deposit. We would never be able to save that again
    Prefer doesn’t really work as a deciding factor at this point. You can’t simply hand the keys back on one place and walk away without serious repercussions.

What sort of wage are you on? Can you and your partner (if you have one) not find a way to increase your income, and cut down your spending, and then pay down the mortgage on the rental to the point that you are out of negative equity?
  • Scotsgirl74
    Options
    Our spending is cut down to as little as possible as it is. I have been trying to find a weekend job to no avail. We can’t afford to make the mortgage payments. They are £387 a month as it is. There is a shortfall at the minute of around £22,000. We are a working family with an income of £49k per year. We can’t afford to pay 2 mortgages
  • Scotsgirl74
    Options
    Plus the block of flats are now all rented out to DSS. I moved out as there were drug dealers above me and it wasn’t a suitable environment for my children hence why I would prefer not to move back there
  • Scotsgirl74
    Options
    Just an update. I’ve just spoken to mortgage company. Need to call back on Monday to speak to possessions department about possible selling flat for less than is owed and coming to an arrangement about the shortfall
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 18 January 2020 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Do you mean any shortfall of the mortgage company sell My flat will be a non priority debt?

Yes. On the other thread, Sourcrates added that these debts are the least aggressively pursued, as people with mortgage shortfalls are often in rented accommodation and considering bankruptcy.
    Are we able to approach the bank to see about removing my name from the mortgage on our home in case anything should happen in the future?

Not worth doing and wouldn't work anyway. You are worrying unnecessarily
    Just an update. I’ve just spoken to mortgage company. Need to call back on Monday to speak to possessions department about possible selling flat for less than is owed and coming to an arrangement about the shortfall

That's the best option. You will get a better price by marketing it yourself than they will through a repossession or you just handing them back the keys. It's what I was referring to earlier about minimising the debt. But you need their agreement not to block a sale that will not clear the mortgage.
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    Have you had the flat valued recently ?
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Scotsgirl74
    Options
    Getting valued next week
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our spending is cut down to as little as possible as it is. I have been trying to find a weekend job to no avail. We can’t afford to make the mortgage payments. They are £387 a month as it is. There is a shortfall at the minute of around £22,000. We are a working family with an income of £49k per year. We can’t afford to pay 2 mortgages

£49k isn't a low income and your residential mortgage is not large at less than £72k.

I think your SoA is probably needed for people to give you well-informed advice.

Working with the other mortgage lender will be better than handing back the keys but they will have to perceive your financial circumstances in more or less the same way as you do.
  • MissMollyJ
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    £49k isn't a low income and your residential mortgage is not large at less than £72k.

I think your SoA is probably needed for people to give you well-informed advice.

Working with the other mortgage lender will be better than handing back the keys but they will have to perceive your financial circumstances in more or less the same way as you do.

Agreed! Many people would dearly love to have an income of £49k and mortgage of £72k! The debts being talked about should be easily serviced and paid off with that level of income and outgoings on the face of it.

OP, do consider working oit your SOA and posting it for advice - I would say this is manageable and not to panic x
    £2 Savers Club 2020 no. 9
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport