30 Hours Free childcare and 100k

Options
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I am self-employed and 'expect' to earn less than 100k so appear to qualify for the 30 hours free childcare. However my income varies greatly year on year and it is possible that on a given year my income will exceed (unexpectedly) 100k.

I have looked everywhere about whether this triggers a repayment (could be very expensive) or whether if I honestly thought I wouldn't earn over 100k it is fine. I can't find any clear guidance on this or how, and if, a year's worth of 30 hours is supposed to be repaid.

To be clear (since I've read other threads on this which generate the same responses) I am not trying to game the system, just understand how it works.

Ta,
P

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    thepodders wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I am self-employed and 'expect' to earn less than 100k so appear to qualify for the 30 hours free childcare. However my income varies greatly year on year and it is possible that on a given year my income will exceed (unexpectedly) 100k.

I have looked everywhere about whether this triggers a repayment (could be very expensive) or whether if I honestly thought I wouldn't earn over 100k it is fine. I can't find any clear guidance on this or how, and if, a year's worth of 30 hours is supposed to be repaid.

To be clear (since I've read other threads on this which generate the same responses) I am not trying to game the system, just understand how it works.

Ta,
    P

You shouldn't need to repay because you have a duty to declare your earnings and inform if you no longer qualify so they can stop payment.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    However my income varies greatly year on year and it is possible that on a given year my income will exceed (unexpectedly) 100k.

Then you'll be pleased to know that this isn't based on your income. It is based on adjusted net income. Of which taxable income is one element.

https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare
  • ewdyson
    Options
    What was the outcome of this? Did you ever have to repay due to the brief variation in your income?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ewdyson said:
    What was the outcome of this? Did you ever have to repay due to the brief variation in your income?

The OP hasn't returned since the day they posted this question so they may not return to answer your question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback