Forum Home» Gaming MoneySaving

Connect your console to your router without a wire?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH


New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions


Connect your console to your router without a wire?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
18 replies 1.4K views
AmazinAmazin Forumite
73 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Are there any device available on the market that can allow you to connect your Ps4/Xbox/PC to the router without using a wire? I know most of you will say wireless wifi but online game will not be as good. So I'm looking for something like wireless LAN. Hope that make sense because I don't know what they're called!
«1

Replies

  • SuperPikachuSuperPikachu Forumite
    344 posts
    Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    You could try a Wireless extender if it says it is compatible with the devices you want to use it on - TP Link makes them (sold on amazon/argos etc) and probably other brands too
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazin wrote: »
    I know most of you will say wireless wifi but online game will not be as good. So I'm looking for something like wireless LAN.


    You say WIFI, I say wireless LAN?


    Just be sure to use the 5ghz wifi/wlan and you should be fine. On a console anyway.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try a Wireless extender if it says it is compatible with the devices you want to use it on - TP Link makes them (sold on amazon/argos etc) and probably other brands too


    Multiple wifi hops is not going to help the ping!


    So addition to my 5ghz point, be near the main router.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazin wrote: »
    Are there any device available on the market that can allow you to connect your Ps4/Xbox/PC to the router without using a wire? I know most of you will say wireless wifi but online game will not be as good. So I'm looking for something like wireless LAN. Hope that make sense because I don't know what they're called!

    Homeplugs or powerline adapters.
  • jbkmumjbkmum Forumite
    265 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My Xbox is connected wirelessly, its faster than when its hooked up by ethernet!
    01/01/2020: £41,714.29
    04/03/2020: £40,601.62
    16/05/2020: £39,424.38
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Homeplugs or powerline adapters.


    Potato, potato again? And obviously that uses a wire techincally. (You do need wires for your electric!)
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jbkmum wrote: »
    My Xbox is connected wirelessly, its faster than when its hooked up by ethernet!


    No it is not, but 5ghz wifi is fine for a console.
  • jbkmumjbkmum Forumite
    265 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    No it is not, but 5ghz wifi is fine for a console.

    It is. I'm not saying this is the same for everyone else, but my router is a plonka and for some damn reason both my PC and Xbox run slower via ethernet than wirelessly.

    I've tried many many things and had to go back to wireless just to get everything to work.
    01/01/2020: £41,714.29
    04/03/2020: £40,601.62
    16/05/2020: £39,424.38
  • duggan1duggan1 Forumite
    483 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    jbkmum wrote: »
    It is. I'm not saying this is the same for everyone else, but my router is a plonka and for some damn reason both my PC and Xbox run slower via ethernet than wirelessly.

    I've tried many many things and had to go back to wireless just to get everything to work.

    Have you got anything in between the router and the pc/console? this makes no sense at all without some sort of duplex issue.
  • jbkmumjbkmum Forumite
    265 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Xbox is next to the router, pc Is a floor above it but also used to be next to it
    01/01/2020: £41,714.29
    04/03/2020: £40,601.62
    16/05/2020: £39,424.38
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support