Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Claiming money back for goods not as described?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Claiming money back for goods not as described?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
13 replies 578 views
Forum_NameForum_Name Forumite
152 posts
100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Can you do this if using a bank card through PayPal? The total was about £55GBP although the item purchased was in USD and shipped from America. I have tried contacting the company numerous times but they refuse to respond to me. My review on their website did not get approved , surprise-surprise, so their whole review system is doctored. Not that that matters to getting a refund. The purchase was at the end of August 2019, it's just that i only thought today about whether i could claim or not and get a refund.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum_Name wrote: »
    The total was about £55GBP
    ....which would rule out claiming under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, if using a credit card, as this only covers purchases over £100.
    Forum_Name wrote: »
    The purchase was at the end of August 2019
    ....which would rule out a chargeback, as this needs to be done within 120 days.

Chances are that both of the above are moot anyway if using PayPal, so follow PayPal's process rather than looking for assistance from your bank.
  • edited 16 January 2020 at 11:26AM
    18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2020 at 11:26AM
    You simply go to the PayPal resolution centre and open an item not as described / damaged / faulty or whatever against that transaction PayPal will sort it out - I know this because I have done it

the payment method e.g. your card has nothing to do with us it is purely a PayPal problem
  • I've had this problem before. Go to the Paypal resolution centre and they'll sort it.
  • Forum_NameForum_Name Forumite
    152 posts
    Thank you.
    What is the process likely to be? What will they likely need me to provide?

The item is a set of earphones. They’re advertised as lasting 5 hours. I’ll struggle to get 90 minutes out of them.
    With the nature of the item they obviously can’t be sold on as they are. Nobody is going to want my ear wax in their ears. So I just wondered what the likely process would be before I get in touch with PayPal tonight and start the ball rolling.
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should just be simple and describe the problem as a faulty item (which is probably is given the battery life problem). Say faulty battery - doesn't charge properly. I would not get into details about 90mins v 5 hours or whatever. Keep it simple - faulty item (ie do not use 'item not as described') - that's it.
    152 posts
    I am assuming the answer is no but i will ask all the same anyway for clarification. I had to pay £20 to have the item shipped in to the country. I am assuming that i will not be able to claim this as part of the refund and that i will only be able to claim for the item itself?
  • edited 17 January 2020 at 4:00AM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 January 2020 at 4:00AM
    I am guessing that the earphones are battery powered. Could the problem be with the type of battery being used? Perhaps the 5 hours refer to using brand X long lasting batteries and you have been using brand Y cheap batteries which don't last as long.
    To me, this doesn't come across as a goods not as described problem.
    It is difficult to see how the manufactuer of a product could state that the battery powered product will last for 5 hours when batteries are different. In order for this complaint to be valid it would have to be a complaint in reference to a statement made at the time of purchase of batteries guaranteeing that they will last X hours when used in a specific model of a specific product.
    Alternatively, if it is a battery that needs to be charged, surely the amount of battery power consumed will vary depending on the exact manner of use, volume level, distance from source etc. Did the manufacturer actually guarantee 5 hours from a full charge or was it something like 'up to 5 hours'.
    152 posts
    The battery is fixed. It isn’t like AA’s is what I’m saying.
    https://cre8sounds.com/products/cr8-1-wireless-earbuds “Up to 5 hours”. Except they’re not, they’re up to 90 minutes. I’ve had them fully charged, gone to the gym and done a 45minute workout but we shall call it 60mins. The next day I did the same but again we’ll call it 60mins to be generous. They died before the end of the workout. I disconnect them from Bluetooth connection as soon as I finish the workout. This has happened more than once, in fact I now have to charge them before every workout. It’s my only chance.
    I wouldn’t mind too much but the company refuse to respond to me. I have contacted them numerous times but received no reply.
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Open a PayPal dispute for the whole amount including postage although I have to say £20 postage is quite a lot to say the least

I would suggest the next time you buy earphones you buy them from Amazon