Forum Home» Techie Stuff

What essentials programmes to install?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

What essentials programmes to install?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
24 replies 958 views
cherry76cherry76 Forumite
756 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills Thanks

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you were using on the old computer and any hardware that it needs, so things like printers, scanners, peripherals that don't work as Plug & Play already...

And maybe a decent internet browser like Firefox or Chrome, as Edge (as comes with Windows 10 by default, not the later one due out today or tomorrow) sucks.
  • thatthat Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for paintDOTnet, 7zip, Blueberry Flashback express, Chrome browser (personally I prefer slimjet) and Firefox is also OK, and VLC. Sandboxie (now free). Multiclipboard, but the older free version allows you to store 26 items - search for it:) http://m8software.com/clipboards/freeclip/freeclip.htm

The weird ones: MacType (https://chocolatey.org/packages/mactype), notepad++, I do not do much with video, but a video editor - something like SVDC, a video converter (Handbrake), Audacity.

personally would remove Kaspersky, and just use the free windows ones, but it is a personal choice.
  • HeedtheadviceHeedtheadvice Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Macrium Reflect for a recovery disk and great backup facilities in case of disasters;
    Malwarebytes for extra Malware prevention.
    Both the above I consider essential if doing online banking.

Plus for Chrome or Firefox, add ins for adblocking (Ublock origin) and maybe a tracking preventer although built in options seem quite good.

Use of those built in password managers.

Belarc adviser so you can easily find and printout a copy of lots of useful info regarding your PC such as software keys, security fixes installed, list of programs and lots more.

Lotterypredictor Home (free) version.......oh, no that's just my wishlist :)
  • thatthat Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lotterypredictor Home (free) version.......oh, no that's just my wishlist :)
    I'll predict the Lottery for you, just pay me 10% of the winnings ;)
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is essential apart from a good backup of the m/c as it is (i.e. a full image), and backup and back up as you go . Define fills up how big is the disk and how much space is there letf?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    cherry76 wrote: »
    New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills

Adobe what?
    Kaspersky - why?

Just coz an SSD runs quicker, doesn't mean it fills up faster! :p

Alternative web browsers are a good idea
    Software for your printer?
    Dropbox?
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    Just coz an SSD runs quicker, doesn't mean it fills up faster! :p

If the SSD is smaller than the previous HDD then it will. ;)
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    cherry76 wrote: »
    New Dell PC Vostro 3471 windows 10 professional. So far I have installed Microsoft office, ccleaner, adobe and Kaspersky internet security. Is there anything else I should install. Will only use for internet shopping and banking and usual browsing Storage is ssd it is surprising how quickly it fills Thanks
    Ccleaner is not required - All of the useful features can be easily carried out with the tools built into Windows.

Kaspersy is not required - Built in Defender is perfectly fine.

Adobe is a software company, not a piece of software. I assume you mean Adobe Reader.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    wongataa wrote: »
    Ccleaner is not required - All of the useful features can be easily carried out with the tools built into Windows.

Kaspersy is not required - Built in Defender is perfectly fine.

Adobe is a software company, not a piece of software. I assume you mean Adobe Reader.

Given the stated usage I'd also remove MS Office. I'm guessing Win10 Pro & Office were sold with the computer, it sounds like they bought way more than they actually need.
  • AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    that wrote: »
    I'd go for paintDOTnet, 7zip, Blueberry Flashback express, Chrome browser (personally I prefer slimjet) and Firefox is also OK, and VLC. Sandboxie (now free). Multiclipboard, but the older free version allows you to store 26 items - search for it:) http://m8software.com/clipboards/freeclip/freeclip.htm

The weird ones: MacType (https://chocolatey.org/packages/mactype), notepad++, I do not do much with video, but a video editor - something like SVDC, a video converter (Handbrake), Audacity.

personally would remove Kaspersky, and just use the free windows ones, but it is a personal choice.

Why on earth would you install all that to do internet shopping, banking and 'usual browsing' ??

Mind = boggled