Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Easy access savings above inflation again

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Easy access savings above inflation again

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Savings & Investments
5 replies 739 views
eskbankereskbanker Forumite
16.4K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Savings & Investments
Today's consumer prices update has CPI at 1.3%, which means that for the first time in three years, it's (just) lower than the interest paid by the leading easy access savings accounts!

Not exactly reason to crack open the bubbly but every little helps, green shoots, etc....

Replies

• edited 15 January 2020 at 12:12PM
    Sir_RobinSir_Robin Forumite
    52 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 15 January 2020 at 12:12PM
    I managed to lock in Marcus when it was at 1.45!
    I can feel the flood of cash rushing in compounding, growing exponentially let’s deduct the inflation and plug the numbers into a compound interest calculator

Yr5
    5 £7.55 £37.64 £5,037.64

Only 5 yrs till I can crack open that cheap bubbly, thank you savings rates. :T
  • quirkydeptlessquirkydeptless Forumite
    826 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Woo hoo, gimme that 0.05% :j:money::j
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • edited 15 January 2020 at 2:15PM
    fun4everyonefun4everyone Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2020 at 2:15PM
    Global stocks returning 22% last year (roughly) on top of that. Rich getting richer.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    77.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Global stocks returning 22% last year (roughly) on top of that. Rich getting richer.

Didn't see many companies lifting their profits by that %.
    “Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • talexusertalexuser Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, talk is of interest rates going down again soon due to our rubbish "recovery".