New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Sky Q Multi-room

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
2 replies 634 views
Danger_MouseDanger_Mouse Forumite
56 posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi,

Im looking to install a tv on the wall in my new house and get Sky Q multi-room. I've read some older articles that say you need to have Sky broadband to work with the minibox, is this still the case?

Also, does the minibox just require a power supply and HDMI? I dont want wires showing so thinking the best option is to have the main box in another room (where the tv isnt on the wall) and the minibox in the main room where the tv is on the wall and wallmount the minibox behind the tv?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi,

Im looking to install a tv on the wall in my new house and get Sky Q multi-room. I've read some older articles that say you need to have Sky broadband to work with the minibox, is this still the case?

Also, does the minibox just require a power supply and HDMI? I dont want wires showing so thinking the best option is to have the main box in another room (where the tv isnt on the wall) and the minibox in the main room where the tv is on the wall and wallmount the minibox behind the tv?

If you have Sky BB then you'll enable the WiFi hotspot feature on the boxes which may help with other devices connecting but any BB works otherwise as normal. It was never ever the case that they only worked with Sky BB.

They use WiFi to connect (any WiFi) so power and HDMI is all that's needed. As long as they can pick up a WiFi signal (they use the 5GHz range BTW, or at least the main box does so I presume that applies to the mini boxes).

Just make sure that putting the mini box behind the TV doesn't interfere with either the WiFI or the remote signal. Heat may be an issue as well depending on what exactly you're going to do with the mini box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They use WiFi to connect (any WiFi) so power and HDMI is all that's needed. As long as they can pick up a WiFi signal (they use the 5GHz range BTW, or at least the main box does so I presume that applies to the mini boxes).
    If Wi-FI proves problematical, Home Plugs are a (wired ) alternative...