Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Temporary accommodation while looking

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Temporary accommodation while looking

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
10 replies 445 views
staffie1staffie1 Forumite
1.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi All,
I need to complete on the sale of my house, but have found nothing to buy yet.
My mother (council tenant) says I can stay with her until I find something - about 12 wks (hopefully).

She’s not spoken to the council as yet - but is this something they would allow? I expect to pay a contribution towards rent, CT, etc.
My mother is also in receipt of pension credit and some other benefit.

Thanks!
God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Replies

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    20.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the council will care about a close family member moving in (whether temporary or not). Is there something in her tenancy agreement suggesting it would be a problem?
  • ethankethank Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing your mum is a long term council tenant and has a secure tenancy. Do check the agreement but secure tenants do need have a legal right to take in a lodger and don’t need their landlord’s consent to do this.
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    36.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely you will be your mother's guest?
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    34.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three months is pushing the limits of a "guest". It's unlikely to have an impact on your mother's tenancy, but may do on her benefits.

And that's assuming she's not in an age-restricted property. Three months may be optimistic if you haven't found anywhere yet.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would rent a room in someone's house (check on a site like Spare Room) rather than rely on family. There is just too much to go wrong with what you propose: above all a fairly elderly person finding her routines disrupted and making her discomfort obvious, meaning that you feel under pressure to buy something quickly, even if it is not suitable...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • staffie1staffie1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she’s a long term tenant with secure tenancy and there’s nothing in her tenancy or on the council website relating to this - only to tenancy fraud, subletting.
    God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she is in receipt of single person discount for Council Tax, then she will no longer be eligible for this while you stay in the property.
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    36.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she is in receipt of single person discount for Council Tax, then she will no longer be eligible for this while you stay in the property.

Is this the case even for a guest?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    20.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xylophone wrote: »
    Is this the case even for a guest?
    It will be the principal residence of the guest, who'll be staying for an indefinite period - so yes, I expect their occupation is relevant. Different from them just popping up for the weekend.
  • staffie1staffie1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be best for me to rent somewhere. I don’t want to upset her benefits and then for her to have the hassle of trying to sort it out after I’ve left.