Forum Home» Credit Cards

Euro denominated cards in the UK

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Euro denominated cards in the UK

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
6 replies 481 views
marlin21marlin21 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Does anyone know of a credit or debit card that I can run in Euros?
I get a small pension in Euros that I pay into a Euro account here in the UK but can only spend them as cash or exchange to another curency. I cannot buy online or when overseas, in Euros without exchange charges from my GBP denominated cards.

Replies

• MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    519 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Have you no connection with the country where from you recive your pension? Apply for a CC in that country?
  • yksiyksi Forumite
    720 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Revolut or similar might be your answer. It is a pseudo bank account that allows you to convert between currencies at the live rate (no currency exchange loss on a weekday) and also comes with a sort code and UK bank account number. Essentially it's a prepaid mastercard that you load up with your euro balance and then convert it, and you can use it for contactless payments as well.

No I don't work for Revolut, I found it on my travels by accident - most customers seem to be people who want to travel and spend money overseas without a massive currency exchange loss. Look around for a referral link on the internet that announces "free card" so that you can save that £5 and the setup becomes free.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You could take a look at the Fineco and Transferwise accounts. Doing a search on MSE could show other users' experience.

Which UK account do you use for € credits?
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starling allow you to open a Euro current account alongside a Sterling account. You can change a setting in the app to make it take Euro debit card purchases from the Euro account, instead of the Sterling account.

Otherwise I'd suggest Revolut, as per a previous poster.

Starling are FSCS protected, Revolut aren't.

• gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at Monese - that’s probably your best option. If not than consider Revolut.
  • Jonathan_KelvinJonathan_Kelvin Forumite
    317 posts
    ✭✭
    marlin21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a credit or debit card that I can run in Euros?
    I get a small pension in Euros that I pay into a Euro account here in the UK but can only spend them as cash or exchange to another curency. I cannot buy online or when overseas, in Euros without exchange charges from my GBP denominated cards.
    Revolut, or American Express Currency Card.