Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Family travel insurance - son aged 18?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Family travel insurance - son aged 18?

4 replies 557 views
admiral_travelleradmiral_traveller Forumite
28 posts
Hello, I wasn't whether to post this in the Holiday forum or the Insurance forum, so please forgive me if I have made the wrong choice!

Our son is currently 17 and will be turning 18 whilst we are away on holiday. Shortly after our family holiday he is planning on going abroad with some friends. So my questions are:
Can I take out an annual family travel insurance which will a) still cover him once he turns 18 and b) would give him cover on his second holiday alone (ie. without mum and dad)?

I have searched a few travel insurance sites and got some quotes but none of them are able to answer my queries. I can contact a few of them by phone tomorrow to ask, but in the meantime I thought I would post a question here to see if anyone could clarify it for me.

Many thanks in advance
a_k
"Try to look after the pennies - the pounds will look after themselves" - wise words from an old uncle ... :)
SPC 10 - 068

Replies

• Thanks.

If it wasn't for the fact it was nearly 10.30pm when I posted my question, then of course I would ring some up (and indicated so in my post).
    I just thought it might be an idea to ask a question here to see if perhaps someone else may have been in a similar position who might be able to offer some advice and perhaps even suggest which companies to approach.

Or have I misread your reply ... are you recommending a company called "!!!!!!"? If so, I would be grateful for their contact details.
    "Try to look after the pennies - the pounds will look after themselves" - wise words from an old uncle ... :)
    SPC 10 - 068
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were in the same position last year. I called my insurance company who confirmed that my daughters cover would run out on her 18th birthday, half way through our holiday and she wouldn't be covered from that point. I took out an annual policy in just her name.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • edited 15 January 2020 at 6:12PM
    admiral_travelleradmiral_traveller Forumite
    28 posts
    edited 15 January 2020 at 6:12PM
    We were in the same position last year. I called my insurance company who confirmed that my daughters cover would run out on her 18th birthday, half way through our holiday and she wouldn't be covered from that point. I took out an annual policy in just her name.

Thanks for that - I had a suspicion that might be the case! It's only for a short-break weekend - we leave the day before his birthday and come home the day after - so I might have to do both types of policy to cover him!

Aside from that, it's a bit odd that the first reply to my post (from a different person) seems to have disappeared .... perhaps the person who advised "!!!!!! call the company" had second thoughts about the tone of their reply and deleted it ...?
    SPC 10 - 068
  • jaybeetoojaybeetoo Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Nationwide covers children up to 21 if they live at home and are in full time education otherwise it stops at 18.