New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Getting a credit card

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
3 replies 279 views
Carl2510Carl2510 Forumite
476 posts
100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
My girlfriend lives at home with her parents, doesn’t have any bills to her name, I’ve advised her to get a credit card, her credit rating is good, but Is it still worth it to get a credit card. As we will be looking at getting a house together in the next year or so.

I remember back when I was 18 and got refused a phone contract, even though I was totally clean no debts nothing no bills. Could this happen with a mortgage.

Replies

• edited 14 January 2020 at 10:19PM
    Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:19PM
    Using a credit card for things like monthly groceries and monthly travel costs, then paying the statemented balance in full each month would indicate to a lender that she can successfully manage a credit account.

Her score is irrelevant, as a typical mortgage lender does not use it and does not see it.

Does she not have a current account? If yes, then she should try applying for a card from her bank.

Is she employed?

If she has no credit history whatsoever, then she would be more likely to make a successful application with a sub-prime lender such as CapitalOne, Aqua or Vanquis.

She needs to make sure she is on the Electoral Register.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • edited 14 January 2020 at 10:19PM
    Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:19PM
    In order for her credit rating to be good, she must have some credit. What does she currently have?
    There was a very similar thread started around this time yesterday https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6091111
    Perhaps rather than us repeating the same things you should take a look at this thread as it may help
  • Carl2510Carl2510 Forumite
    476 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    She is on the Electrol Register, and has a current account, and is in full time employment as a dental nurse. That’s exactly what I’ve said, just buy petrol etc and pay off in full each month.