Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Direct Debit ‘Admin’ charge

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Direct Debit ‘Admin’ charge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
6 replies 408 views
Zoe151Zoe151 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I’m a season ticket holder at a premier league club (you don’t need to know which one!) The window for renewal has been announced and prices are the same as last season (Hoorah!)
I usually pay in one go from a stash I put aside after my dad died) but looked at spreading payments by DD out of interest. I’m shocked to see that they charge a £40 ‘administration fee’ which is just under 10% of the cost log the season ticket! Is this standard practice/acceptable?
I have no idea! 🤷!♀️

Replies

• GTR_KingGTR_King Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Some Prem Clubs/Championship clubs do it as they like you to pay up front instead of DD Payments

At my Club (League 1) it's About £10 more with DD but hay ho still happy with the price
  • ffacoffipawbffacoffipawb Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zoe151 wrote: »
    I’m a season ticket holder at a premier league club (you don’t need to know which one!) The window for renewal has been announced and prices are the same as last season (Hoorah!)
    I usually pay in one go from a stash I put aside after my dad died) but looked at spreading payments by DD out of interest. I’m shocked to see that they charge a £40 ‘administration fee’ which is just under 10% of the cost log the season ticket! Is this standard practice/acceptable?
    I have no idea! 🤷!♀️

Everton charges a £40 fee. Seems a bit of a rip off really.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoe151 wrote: »
    I have no idea! 🤷!♀️

Do you have the option of paying by credit card?
    A new purchase promotional rate card would be free to use?:beer:
  • yksiyksi Forumite
    720 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    An "admin charge" is their way of disguising things, basically it's a loan you're repaying at 10% total interest.

My car insurance has a similar overall difference in the amount you pay if you opt for the pay-by-the-month, so I opt to pay it in full. If you can't afford to pay it one hit, then I'm with jonesMUFCforever, it would be cheaper for you to get yourself a credit card with an introductory 0% purchase offer, and pay it with that, as long as you can get an offer with a long enough term to pay it off.
  • At the moment I don’t have a credit card - my history with them is painful and having learned the hard way I’m steering clear for now. But a good thought - thanks!
  • I’m going to continue to pay in full - I looked at the DD options just out of interest. I’m trying the penny a day saving challenge so I’ll earmark some of that to boost my stash. My dad would be proud of me ��