Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Using PayPal to buy something on facebook marketplace

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Using PayPal to buy something on facebook marketplace

3 replies 703 views
l.c.elliottl.c.elliott Forumite
18 posts
Third Anniversary First Post
I've seen an item I'd like to buy on Facebook marketplace but the item is the other side of the country so I would need to use PayPal to pay and then they would post it to me. How do I make sure I am protected in case something happens and I dont receive the item? Do i need the seller to use a specific service on paypal e.g. does it matter if I use family and friends or just normal? Thanks

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen an item I'd like to buy on Facebook marketplace but the item is the other side of the country so I would need to use PayPal to pay and then they would post it to me. How do I make sure I am protected in case something happens and I dont receive the item? Do i need the seller to use a specific service on paypal e.g. does it matter if I use family and friends or just normal? Thanks

DON'T USE friends and family - just ask yourself are these people your friends and family, if not why would you use it? You need to pay using a full PayPal payment and for named goods.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • l.c.elliottl.c.elliott Forumite
    18 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    So the 'good and services' option?
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    So the 'good and services' option?

Yes, then you have full protection if it doesn't turn up. One tip I saw soolin post is to specify exactly what the item is (there will be a box for a message at some point in the process, type it there).