New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

New business insurance with ccjs

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
3 replies 625 views
Squarepeg72Squarepeg72 Forumite
11 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
So I've got a ccj of about 8k to a credit card, it's over 2 years old, the debt significantly older.

I was gifted some cash before xmas by a relative (500) which I have used to build stock for a craft type business. I have a full time job but basically live to the last dime every month with no spare pennies.
This little business has potential but I need product and public liability insurance. Other people making similar say they pay about £60pa. Because of the ccj, Im not being accepted and the one that did has quoted over 300pa :eek:

Does anybody know any insurers who offer reasonable insurance for start ups?

The only debt I have is to a couple of old credit cards, I dont have a mortgage, I've paid everything else off, have regular direct debits for everything else like car, phone, tv etc

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be worth approaching an insurance broker?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Squarepeg72Squarepeg72 Forumite
    11 posts
    Hi sue, direct line passed me onto one. Should I try another or are they just the same?
    I know it doesnt sound much but its 5x more that other people pay. How is anyone supposed to get out of debt? I'm not even asking for monthly payments!
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say yes, definitely worth trying another. You may not get anywhere - CCJs may be a bit of a red flag for certain types of insurance - but you won't know unless you try.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!