Forum Home» Credit Cards

Gambling on credit cards to be banned from April - MSE News

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Gambling on credit cards to be banned from April - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
11 replies 1K views
MSE_CallumMSE_Callum Forumite
684 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Gambling businesses will be banned from allowing consumers in England, Scotland and Wales to use credit cards to gamble from April...
Read the full story:
'Gambling on credit cards to be banned from April'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• It's a step in the right direction. I'm a recovering gambling addict. Unfortunately I used site's like this to find credit. Using the credit card shuffle accessing more credit to fund my habit whilst keeping interest and repayments down. Unfortunately people will still have access to money transfers via credit card offers and you can hide transactions behind PayPal. The other focus point should be game apps. It's an interesting and perhaps worrying observation to make when you see so many similarities between online gambling platforms and the games available for children to access and play.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news but I can see one way round this already.
    Not going to say what it is. But I'm sure plenty will know what I am referring too.
    Family is for life not just Christmas
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I approve of the principal of this as I don't think that people should be borrowing money to gamble. Using a debit card and gambling with their own money is one thing but borrowing money on a credit card for this purpose is something else entirely.
  • ellykirkellykirk Forumite
    14 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I genuinely thought this was already a thing? I worked in bingo early 2000’s and we couldn’t do cash back on ccs then and hubby can’t use cc on online gambling sites?
  • edited 15 January 2020 at 6:54AM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    30.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2020 at 6:54AM
    Cashback on credit cards is something completely different. This is about using a card at point of sale with a whole category of merchants.

Selected retailers didn't previously accept credit cards due to the fees.
  • blue.peterblue.peter Forumite
    402 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I was very surprised when I discovered that gambling was allowed on credit cards, and am glad to see that it's being stopped (for reasons set out above by others).

The way I discovered that it was possible was a bit odd. I logged on to my credit card online banking one morning and discovered fraudulent activity: five transactions of £100 each with a firm of which I'd never heard. I immediately phoned the bank to report it (yes, I'd spotted the fraud before they did), and learnt in the course of that conversation that the firm in question offered online gambling.
  • TallaghtTallaght Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    As said before,there are ways around it.There should be more effort to stop problem gambling.
  • Loanranger21Loanranger21 Forumite
    88 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't agree with gambling adverts on TV nor in sports sponsorship. It is pernicious and addictive.
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    519 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with gambling adverts on TV nor in sports sponsorship. It is pernicious and addictive.
    It's not "addictive" in of itself.
    Some people have addictive personalities. As such should avoid things like drink / drugs and gambling.
  • Well, this ain't so bad. Gambling is evil.