edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
22 replies 1.3K views
13»

Replies

• benbay001 wrote: »
    Oh.
    Well that was a quick change of course.

Fair point.

Looks like the rule of thumb is (110 - age) to get the percentage split for equities, so for me that would be 62%. At what kind of tick do people generally adjust their holdings to reflect age?
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point.

Looks like the rule of thumb is (110 - age) to get the percentage split for equities, so for me that would be 62%. At what kind of tick do people generally adjust their holdings to reflect age?

Age might not come in to it for many. Some people are 100% equities with 2 years of income in cash. Others are 80/20 equities/bonds up to and through retirement. Others move from higher equity allocations down to 60/40 to see them through retirement. Some never get much above 20-40% equities. Certainly there needs to be a plan for retirement but there are lots of differing opinions of what that would look like.

Myself, I am almost the same age as you but my SIPP is 100% equities and I'm not sure that will change much as I approach retirement.