»

cautious would-be investor - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

cautious would-be investor

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
22 replies 1.3K views
13»

Replies

• benbay001 wrote: »
    Oh.
    Well that was a quick change of course.

Fair point.

Looks like the rule of thumb is (110 - age) to get the percentage split for equities, so for me that would be 62%. At what kind of tick do people generally adjust their holdings to reflect age?
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point.

Looks like the rule of thumb is (110 - age) to get the percentage split for equities, so for me that would be 62%. At what kind of tick do people generally adjust their holdings to reflect age?

Age might not come in to it for many. Some people are 100% equities with 2 years of income in cash. Others are 80/20 equities/bonds up to and through retirement. Others move from higher equity allocations down to 60/40 to see them through retirement. Some never get much above 20-40% equities. Certainly there needs to be a plan for retirement but there are lots of differing opinions of what that would look like.

Myself, I am almost the same age as you but my SIPP is 100% equities and I'm not sure that will change much as I approach retirement.