Euro to sterling Bank accounts with low fees and great exchange rate :-)

2»

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    torrence wrote: »
    Why not just open a Transferwise.com account? You can create multiple currency accounts within your account and transfer funds between them at better exchange rates than the high street bank.
    One reason would be that Transferwise is now more expensive than Starling. Another is that they have no FSCS protection whilst Starling does.
  • born_again wrote: »
    Well until the OP comes back and answers the questions. Everyone is flying in the dark.

Hardly

As colsten answered in post 5, without explicitly going through the steps:

Get paid into the Starling Euro account
    Transfer to the Starling GBP account
    Transfer to Santander joint account
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    One reason would be that Transferwise is now more expensive than Starling.
    Are you sure? Without checking, I have the idea that Starling charges 0.4% on EUR/GBP conversion, whereas TransferWise adds a 0.35% fee for the same.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • colsten
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    Are you sure? Without checking, I have the idea that Starling charges 0.4% on EUR/GBP conversion, whereas TransferWise adds a 0.35% fee for the same.
    I have changed from Transferwise to Starling as Starling now give me a better deal. I periodically check, also on currency xfer comparison sites, and Transferwise don't come top any longer. Transferwise also charge for making payments from Euro to Euro accounts, and charge 2% for ATM withdrawals over £200 in any 30 days. You can't pay from your Euro account with your Transferwise card, like you can with the Starling one. Also, they have no FSCS. Essentially, Starling have leapfrogged Transferwise.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    You can't pay from your Euro account with your Transferwise card, like you can with the Starling one.
    That's strange, my euro purchases with TransferWise card are taken from my euro account, same with other currencies.

I also use Starling, no denying its excellence.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • colsten
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    That's strange, my euro purchases with TransferWise card are taken from my euro account, same with other currencies.
    They must have implemented this after I stopped using them. Thanks for the update.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure