Forum Home» Credit Cards

Halifax Clarity card

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Halifax Clarity card

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
37 replies 3.3K views
dazzlindazzlin Forumite
12 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
Looks like they are changing their Ts & Cs and introducing a charge on all non sterling purchases. Guess I'll be closing my account as that's the main reason I've had this card all these years.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the letter in front of me

No change to charges for purchases in any currency all show "N/A"

Unless you got a different letter
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hmmm. With my pessimistic nature I may have assumed the worst. The letter says N/A for cash transaction fee (any currency) and N/A for non-sterling transaction fee (any non-sterling transaction, including cash withdrawals) .... is that right today - no charges for foreign cash withdrawals? Will have to check some old statements.
    I was looking at the accompanying booklet - B5. Fees and charges ... but that might just be explaining what a non-sterling transaction purchase fee is, rather than saying the card will actually start incurring them. Might have to ping them to confirm it.
  • adindasadindas Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dazzlin wrote: »
    Hmmm. With my pessimistic nature I may have assumed the worst. The letter says N/A for cash transaction fee (any currency) and N/A for non-sterling transaction fee (any non-sterling transaction, including cash withdrawals) .... is that right today - no charges for foreign cash withdrawals? Will have to check some old statements.
    I was looking at the accompanying booklet - B5. Fees and charges ... but that might just be explaining what a non-sterling transaction purchase fee is, rather than saying the card will actually start incurring them. Might have to ping them to confirm it.

Non sterling transaction is still free based on here.
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

We don't charge fees when you spend abroad.
    We don't charge fees to withdraw cash with your Halifax Clarity credit card
  • binaryuniversebinaryuniverse Forumite
    865 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they remove the USP of the card in the first place (and something they proudly extol on the card's page)?

If that was the case they may as well transfer you to a different product.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • So - no changes in respect of using Clarity abroad for ATM transactions and/or paying for goods services ?
  • I posted another thread with exactly this same query and concern about the small print which seems to contradict the messaging elsewhere! Glad it's not just me
  • I also noticed that and had a "Chat" with them, they say those Terms and Conditions section B2.2 and section B5 is "default information" and doesn’t apply to the Clarity card.
  • Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    125 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    adindas wrote: »
    Non sterling transaction is still free based on here.
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

We don't charge fees when you spend abroad.
    We don't charge fees to withdraw cash with your Halifax Clarity credit card

Even though you posted this I was still not 100% sure as the new T&C's do not come into effect until 27th February 2020.

I was worried about B2.3 which states they add a non-sterling transaction fee but I now understand this is default information, as the previous post, and anyway is covered by A5.

Who writes these T&C'S ? You have to be a lawyer to understand them!
  • I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency. That is the meaning of the highlighted paragraph in section A5 of the guide to changes in terms and conditions. Forget the N/As in the preceding paragraph and the complete absence of any reference to new foreign exchange fees in the 2 page summary. Burying bad news is the name of the game these days.

This card holder will be winding up his Clarity account, though, of course, there is no guarantee that the few alternatives without foreign exchange fees will remain.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    aurigacap wrote: »
    I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency.
    Looks like your branch may have been confused, not surprising when the Halifax literature is so opaque.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76732782&postcount=44