Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Pads for overactive bladder

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Pads for overactive bladder

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
7 replies 773 views
tazwhoevertazwhoever Forumite
1.3K posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
I know this is benefits forum, I am just wondering I need pads for overactive bladder. Would my consultant be able to provide these on NHS. With range of medical conditions I suffer from, I am on ESA and wouldn't be able to afford these. Leaking occurs and visiting toilet lot of times.

Thanks

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • CyclamenCyclamen Forumite
    549 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Have you had a referral to the continence clinic/nurses?

I had to get some help from them following surgery last year and was very embarrassed, teary and scared by it all.... however the lady who visited me was amazing. Had lots of advice, reasurance etc..

In this area they only offer quite bulky pads which aren't suitable for me but she suggested supermarket own brand rather than the named ones as being more affordable and just as good.
    In other counties there is more of a choice.

You can also depending on volumes by washable pants.. often advertised as 'period pants' or in the backs of catalogues targetted at older demographic but they can be more comfy and still do the job.

I am thankfully healed after the surgery but it was a very difficult run.. so be brave and contact your continence clinic or ask gp to refer you
  • sazaccountsazaccount Forumite
    533 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry if this is personal but depending on how much "leakage" you have, I use re-usable sanitary pads from amazon, they were a couple of pounds each and have been used for a couple of years for a weak bladder. They are bamboo with a clip which goes round the underneath of your pants, no smell and I just chuck in the washing machine and tumble drier with everything else. If I had periods then they are to be soaked etc after use but just for slight incontinence I just see them as extra pant layers.

They have saved me on washing trousers as often as before
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • nicetomeetyounicetomeetyou Forumite
    310 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You would need to be referred to the continence clinic. I think they only give pads as the last result.

I got pads from the continence nurse but they aren't particularly good so I purchase my own.
  • tazwhoevertazwhoever Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on tablets for number of years by consultant. Recently I had some tests done as it was getting weaker and tablets are not helping any more. I have a follow up appointment with the consultant in few months.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my area there is a hospice charity shop & they usually have a range of pads on offer that either can't be used at the hospice or have been donated by clients. They're a fraction of the price you'd pay elsewhere.

Also ebay is another great source. Sellers often have lots of packets left over when a relative has died & offer them quite cheaply as it's not possible to hand them back. I've bought this way in the past & currently have a stock that will last me at least a year!
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • PlacitasgirlPlacitasgirl Forumite
    344 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    We were recently in the same situation; my Husband was offered a continence assessment but it involved measuring the volume of liquids he drank, peed and leaked every day for a week. The nurse herself agreed it was quite a palaver and told us that the only pads they supply if you're eligible were very bulky which isn't ideal.

We've stuck with buying his incontinence pads from Aldi. They're 89p a pack for 14 and we use one pack a week. These come in "moderate" and "extra" absorbencies we can get them collected as recycling using the same bags our council provides for nappies.

They also sell incontinence pants at £3.75 for 9 pairs.