New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

UK Interest Rate

edited 30 January 2020 at 12:05PM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
26 replies 924 views
worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
14K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 January 2020 at 12:05PM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
Another Bank of England policymaker has floated the idea of cutting the central bank's main interest rate.

Gertjan Vlieghe told the Financial Times he will consider voting for a rate cut depending on how the economy has performed since the December election.

The rate is used by banks and other lenders who set borrowing costs.

It affects everything from mortgages to business loans and has a big effect on peoples' and firms' finances.

Mr Vlieghe is the third policy setter this week to suggest they may be willing to cut rates when the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) next meets at the end of this month.

BBC News

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F1f0b5e0c-35ef-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700

Source: FT
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    77.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Global growth has been on a downward trajectory for 3 years. A no deal Brexit is going to compound the problems in the short term.
    “Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    The 300 year emergency near zero interest rates are not over because the crisis is still not over from 2008, all that happened was they pushed the problems into the future
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • triathlontriathlon Forumite
    969 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    The-Joker wrote: »
    The 300 year emergency near zero interest rates are not over because the crisis is still not over from 2008, all that happened was they pushed the problems into the future

We will put that as a comedy quote on your tombstone along with Spikes "I told you I was ill", except his was funny
    969 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Great inflation numbers and great for the UK economy along with the fact that low interest rates are now a certainty, it just does not get any easier for the crash cult tribe, but who cares about them
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    triathlon wrote: »
    Great inflation numbers and great for the UK economy along with the fact that low interest rates are now a certainty, it just does not get any easier for the crash cult tribe, but who cares about them

Well you clearly do as you spend hours posting.
    I care from the point of view of their unbalanced posting affecting others.
    I’m also interested in their mindset as I want a different one to them.

You might not care about them personally but the hpc gang bother you at some level and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing,
    To be concerned even repulsed by their mindset and attitude I’d say is a good thing But there is a point it appears like an obsession.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow because growth has been falling on a gentle trajectory there seems to be no public awareness of how close we and the rest of the world are to recession and there is certainly not much scope for monetary stimulus and probably also limited scope for fiscal stimulus if we do see a sharp deterioration in the economy.

Sure a bad recession is probably a low probability event but if it does happen it will be just as painful as the previous ones - I suspect more like a traditional high unemployment/repossessions recession rather than the mostly financial recession we saw post the GFC.
    I think....
  • edited 15 January 2020 at 5:27PM
    triathlontriathlon Forumite
    969 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2020 at 5:27PM
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Well you clearly do as you spend hours posting.
    I care from the point of view of their unbalanced posting affecting others.
    I’m also interested in their mindset as I want a different one to them.

You might not care about them personally but the hpc gang bother you at some level and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing,
    To be concerned even repulsed by their mindset and attitude I’d say is a good thing But there is a point it appears like an obsession.

By far HPC advocates the joy and benefits of a damaging UK property crash more than anyone else, it even attempts to effect sentiment by actively trolling as many property sites as it can and then reporting back to GCHC to report their progress.
    Who would you have me gunning for if not them, the Girl Guides?
  • worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now up to 62% :)

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fa9e4c962-3786-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=700
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    triathlon wrote: »
    By far HPC advocates the joy and benefits of a damaging UK property crash more than anyone else, it even attempts to effect sentiment by actively trolling as many property sites as it can and then reporting back to GCHC to report their progress.
    Who would you have me gunning for if not them, the Girl Guides?

I’m not bothered if you want to spend hours of your personal or employers time gunning for them and I agree their attitude sucks, but no one will believe you don’t care about something you spend many hours doing.
    969 posts
    ✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I’m not bothered if you want to spend hours of your personal or employers time gunning for them and I agree their attitude sucks, but no one will believe you don’t care about something you spend many hours doing.

Who said I didn't care?, now you are just making things up
    Whatever is posted on here is by someone who "cares" or why would they bother posting, what an odd thing to say