🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help needed with Will/Inheritance "rules"

Options
Can someone explain what the default action is for inheritance in our situation, please?

I am married and have 2 grown-up children.

The basic wills should be simple....
  • When one of us dies - their share of estate passes to surviving spouse
  • When second of us dies - estate shared between our 2 children

However, what I am grappling with is what happens if one of our children has died before us.

We would not want that child's share to go to the other child and would rather it goes to the spouse of the deceased child or, if they are not around (divorce or death) then it would go to their children.

Is this what would happen by default or would we need something specific written into the wills?

Thanks

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My understanding is that the default rules would not Give you want you want,

https://www.boltburdon.co.uk/yourlife/probate/intestacy-rules/

I cant see children’s spouses included.

Do bear in mind future children not born/adopted yet and also any future step-children from other relationships.

Using a solicitor is the best way to get what you intend.
    There are lots of charities that will help with the cost in return for a bequest.
  • MysteryMan
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    My understanding is that the default rules would not Give you want you want,

https://www.boltburdon.co.uk/yourlife/probate/intestacy-rules/

I cant see children’s spouses included.

Do bear in mind future children not born/adopted yet and also any future step-children from other relationships.

Using a solicitor is the best way to get what you intend.
    There are lots of charities that will help with the cost in return for a bequest.

Thanks for reply and will check out the link.

Yes, I started the process of a "Charity Will", but, was put off by the behaviour and extra charges the solicitor was trying to pile on. Free it most certainly wasn't!
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I leave my estate to my wife, providing she survives me for 28 days.....

if she fails to survive me, or live for 28 days, I leave my estate to child A and child B in equal shares....

should either of child A or child B predecease me leaving issue (basically a child, or children), including adopted or not yet born (can't think what the legal wording is), I leave the share to him/her/them that would have his/her/their parent (name of parent(s) ) in equal shares upon him/her/then attaining the age of.....

Its all straight forward for a solicitor and good planning to cover everything.

If the grandkid(s) are also teenagers/had a kid you could also include a bit about if child A or B's issue (kid(s) )predeceases leaving issue (your great-grandkids).....they get the bit that would have gone to their parent.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I leave my estate to my wife, providing she survives me for 28 days.....

if she fails to survive me, or live for 28 days, I leave my estate to child A and child B in equal shares....

should either of child A or child B predecease me leaving issue (basically a child, or children), including adopted or not yet born (can't think what the legal wording is), I leave the share to him/her/them that would have his/her/their parent (name of parent(s) ) in equal shares upon him/her/then attaining the age of.....

Its all straight forward for a solicitor and good planning to cover everything.

If the grandkid(s) are also teenagers/had a kid you could also include a bit about if child A or B's issue (kid(s) )predeceases leaving issue (your great-grandkids).....they get the bit that would have gone to their parent.

None of this is necessary if the will includes a clause such as "I leave my estate to child A and child B in equal shares and I direct that Section 33 of the Wills Act 1837 shall be specifically incorporated in this clause."
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Depends on the solicitor drawing up the will, they try and do it so people can deal with probate themselves and not add too many things that need a bit of internet searching at a difficult time.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport