Declined Uni still charging accommodation fee

My son started Uni in September 2019. We put deposits on accommodation at both his first choice and insurance offer, as the first choice was conditional.

My son was accepted on his first choice and UCAS declined the insurance offer. No where on the accommodation website did it explain what to do if the place was declined, and we have not received a contract.

We are now being chased by the 2nd choice university for rent arrears, we are in conversation with them but wanted to know where to go for advice. Any help appreciated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You need to establish what, if any, contract was agreed between you and the uni in all this and go from there.

If you don't have anything, ask them to provide it, as it forms the basis on which the charge is being made.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Weren't you contacted by his second choice Uni about his accommodation before he started ? When my Daughter started Uni in 2018 she received loads of info about Halls, Room numbers, moving in dates etc ? Did you son get these and ignore them possibly ?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,721
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Was the 2nd choice accommodation university owned or a private hall?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure