🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Simple Grant of Probate - How Long?

Options
Just wondered how long a Standard Simple Grant of Probate will take Solicitor has just sent all paperwork off this week, she said its about 4 to 6 weeks ? There was a will and its a straight forward one according to her? I am a Trustee and Executor so its all down to me when it comes through
Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. :beer:

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    SALOPMAN wrote: »
    Just wondered how long a Standard Simple Grant of Probate will take Solicitor has just sent all paperwork off this week, she said its about 4 to 6 weeks ? There was a will and its a straight forward one according to her? I am a Trustee and Executor so its all down to me when it comes through

Afraid this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

There are many threads detailing very long delays, mostly due to the introduction of a new computer system @ Probate office. However, I think recent posts suggest things are improving, at least in some parts of the country.

If you say which office, someone might have recent specific experience to share.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    SALOPMAN wrote: »

Why ask here when she's already told you? She knows the probate office she's dealing with.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dylan1273
    Options
    our simple grant of probate has taken 6 months. not happy
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Took 5 weeks here.
  • SillySallySo
    Options
    4-6 weeks sounds optimistic, our simple Probate came in dead on 8 weeks which I thought was quick.
  • Bobziz
    Bobziz Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I rang 3 probate offices a few days ago and they all said 8-10 weeks. I asked the last one if that was the timescale being provided by all probate offices at the moment. She said yes.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I done it on line and it only took 4 weeks with Christmas in between.
  • MumOf2
    MumOf2 Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seven weeks through Manchester Probate Office (with Christmas in between submission and probate being granted). And that was with a significant IHT burden which necessitated a stamped IHT421 from HMRC. I was amazed at how quickly it came through.

MumOf2
    MumOf4
    Quit Date: 20th November 2009, 7pm

• adviceforall
    Options
    We did ours ourselves online just before christmas, I sent off the will last Thursday and it was granted by email on Sunday..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport