New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Smart TV

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
15 replies 777 views
TillydotTillydot Forumite
128 posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
Can anyone advise me please. I have talk talk phone and internet, and Sky tv. I do not have a digital ariel. A friend told me today that if I buy a Smart tv and just have the internet, not a phone, with BT I wouldnt need a digital ariel? I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview? Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included? and can you record programmes on a Smart tv. Its all a bit confusing but any help would be really appreciated. I want to make it cheaper and easier if possible. Its costing me around £80 a month and I never use the home phone, just my mobile. Thanks for any help.
«1

Replies

  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    More info needed really.
    What costs "around £80 a month"


    Presumably you have a dish for your Sky TV?
    If you "can manage with freeview" then simply cancel your sky sub and you can still use the system to watch the 'free to air' channels for free.


    Most internet services use the phone line to bring t'internet, so you are probably stuck with the phone.


    Save your money, cancel Sky and don't buy a new TV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    J_B wrote: »
    If you "can manage with freeview" then simply cancel your sky sub and you can still use the system to watch the 'free to air' channels for free.
    Not if the OP currently has Sky Q.

    J_B wrote: »
    Most internet services use the phone line to bring t'internet, so you are probably stuck with the phone.
    This comment is so outdated it's hardly worth refuting.Have you never heard of fibre broadband? That doesn't come down any phone line...

    J_B wrote: »
    Save your money, cancel Sky and don't buy a new TV
    On that we can agree.. :)
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    Most internet services use the phone line to bring t'internet, so you are probably stuck with the phone.
    This comment is so outdated it's hardly worth refuting.Have you never heard of fibre broadband? That doesn't come down any phone line...


    In my defence, I did use the words 'most' and 'probably'
    We have FTTC at one of our properties which obviously does need a phone line
    We have a WISP service at home that doesn't

    Can you have FTTP without a phone line? I've never needed to know after they quoted me 12K to install that! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    J_B wrote: »
    We have FTTC at one of our properties which obviously does need a phone line
    While most providers bundle their broadband and landline into packages, there is no longer any physical reason why the two services cannot be purchased separately.

    The cost of broadband alone, however, is generally almost the same price as having a package.
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    In my defence, I did use the words 'most' and 'probably'
    We have FTTC at one of our properties which obviously does need a phone line
    We have a WISP service at home that doesn't

    Can you have FTTP without a phone line? I've never needed to know after they quoted me 12K to install that! :eek:

    FTTP is just a connection to your property. It's up to you whether you have a phone connection or not, your bigger problem is finding a decent range of Internet providers.

    We have FTTP and so far only BT or Sky are able to provide us with a service.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview

    Freeview IS live TV, via an aerial.
    Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included

    Almost all Smart TVs on sale today will have WiFi built in, yes.
    and can you record programmes on a Smart tv.

    'maybe'. Lots will support recording, if you plug in a USB hard drive or stick, but it's usually poor. And it'll be recording from the aerial or satellite input. You'll generally have 1 tuner in the TV, which means you're stuck watching what you're recording. If you want to record, a seperate set top box would still be my recommendation.

    If you're getting rid of Sky HD (not Sky Q), you would be able to replace that with a Freesat box. This connects to your dish, pointing the same way, with the same cables as the Sky box. Buy a Freesat HD recorder. If you're getting a smart TV, you might not want to bother with the upgraded 'FreeTime' recorder, which adds the smart stuff.
  • edited 14 January 2020 at 7:43AM
    goralgoral Forumite
    78 posts
    edited 14 January 2020 at 7:43AM
    Tillydot wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please. I have talk talk phone and internet, and Sky tv. I do not have a digital ariel. A friend told me today that if I buy a Smart tv and just have the internet, not a phone, with BT I wouldnt need a digital ariel? I know I wouldnt be able to watch live tv but that wouldnt be a problem. I would be happy with freeview? Also can you buy a Smart tv with wifi included? and can you record programmes on a Smart tv. Its all a bit confusing but any help would be really appreciated. I want to make it cheaper and easier if possible. Its costing me around £80 a month and I never use the home phone, just my mobile. Thanks for any help.

    1. There is no such thing as digital ariel. It is still same ariel that was years ago. still the same electromagnetic waves, the difference is the way the TV signal is applied to these waves. The receiver must be adapted to receive this signal. Not necessarily an aerial.
    To watch freeview you need ... aerial.
    Freeview is just name for digital TV, but is still same terrestrial tv as was analog - so, you need aerial.

    2. Smart TV is still same TV, the difference is in the software, smart tv is like a smartphone which, apart from calling, has the ability to use other applications. It's the same on TV, apart from the normal TV function, you have the option of installing other applications. But to use this app you need internet.
    90% of smart TV has WiFi or maybe even 99%.

    3. You can record, timeshift etc if your TV has Hard Drive (the vast majority of receivers do not have a built-in hard drive). You do not need internet to record programs. You can add Hard Drive (HDD) to your TV and connect them to USB socket on TV.

    Smart TV connected to internet gives you access to catch up tv services like BBC iPlayer, itv Hub ect.
  • goralgoral Forumite
    78 posts
    Neil49 wrote: »
    FTTP is just a connection to your property. It's up to you whether you have a phone connection or not, your bigger problem is finding a decent range of Internet providers.

    We have FTTP and so far only BT or Sky are able to provide us with a service.

    Smal problem with FTTP is with availability, at this time only VM give you FTTP if you are in the area where they are.
    BT they just started doing it, and probably take years to cover with FTTP 90% premises. (for my knowledge BT cover just below 20% of premises)
    I'm not surprise that BT ask for 12k to connect your house to FTTP.

    FTTC - is fiber to cabinet, and from cabinet to your house is still copper. And, yes you need phone line.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    goral wrote: »
    Smart TV connected to internet gives you access to catch up tv services like BBC iPlayer, itv Hub ect.


    But, on some older smart TVs, like mine, it's no longer possible to use the 'new' C5 catch up service as I'm unable to download the new 'app' :(
  • edited 14 January 2020 at 2:58PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2020 at 2:58PM
    That is a problem no updates for some TVs.
    VM do not supply 90% of premise .


    BT did not charge me to connect to FTTP .
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support