SMETS1 upgrades

Options
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the timescale of when dumb SMETS1 meters are being updated to become live again? I can find nothing obvious online
Thanks

Comments

• tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    irishesman wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the timescale of when dumb SMETS1 meters are being updated to become live again? I can find nothing obvious online
    Thanks

There's an indication provided in MSE's own guide to Smart Meters
  • irishesman
    Options
    Thanks. I’ve seen similar, just hoping that they might have some more exact dates ��
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I expect it has been delayed based on info from https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html

When will SMETS1 meters be connected to DCC?
    The original milestones have been delayed and are subject to a DCC consultation which closed on 20 November 2019. The proposed dates are shown below.
    SMETS1 meters will be migrated to DCC in five batches over three capability phases. Once the capability is made ready on the dates below, the migration will happen within the following months.
    • Initial Operating Capability (IOC) – meters operated by CGI Instant Energy (IE)
      • 24 Nov 2019 - Elster Honeywell and Itron meters
      • 23 Feb 2020 - Aclara meters
    • Middle Operating Capability (MOC)
      • 15 Mar 2020 - Elster Honeywell meters currently operated by MDS (Morrison Data Services)
      • 28 Jun 2020 - Secure meters operated by the Secure Meters group
    • Final Operating Capability (FOC)
      • 26 Jul 2020 - Landis + Gyr (L+G) meters currently operated by either BG SMSO (Smart Meter System Operator), DXC or CGI Instant Energy (IE) and, if directed by Government, the EDMI meter group.

Given there has been no trumpet blowing about the Elster Honeywell and Itron meters having been migrated over, it is probably safe to assume it hasn't gone to plan.
  • irishesman
    Options
    Thanks for this.
  • johnramsbottom
    Options
    Depends on what make of meter was fitted. There is a list of dates from DCC when they expect to migrate the different ones on to their system but this may not be reliable as it has already been put back several times, and of course Coronavirus issues may affect staff carrying out this function. 
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't forget that it's not just the capability of the meter to be migrated it's also down to the capability and preparedness of the various agencies involved - gaining supplier, previous supplier, DCC etc. There have to be processes and procedure in place for suppliers to either upgrade or or take over meters that need to be upgraded/enrolled. 

I guess it's a lot easier for the supplier your meter is still working in smart mode with it's original supplier  but a lot more difficult to try and access and upgrade a meter that's been dumb for a few years years, especially if it's been through several suppliers during that time. There are literally millions out there which have been dormant and others with suppliers who don't support the smart functionality so it's not a trivial task to identify them. Agree to take them over and go through the upgrade and enrollment process.

There may be an aim to get it done but the practicalities are a lot more complex than some think it might might be.So you might as well just resign yourself to reading the meter yourself and sending the readings once a month - it much better than expecting it all to happen and then getting a ginormous bill because it didn't.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    I have a BG SMETS1 meter that has gone dumb now I’m with Avro..... I understand that upgrades to SMETS2 will happen.  As it’s gone dumb, I’m not using it and it’s disconnected from the mains.  Am I supposed to keep powering it back up to see if it upgrades?  Anyone had a BG unit that has upgraded?
  • stewie_griffin
    Options
    Your meter is definitely connected to the mains. Your referring to the in home display. Unless you found it useful for some reason then keep it unplugged and put it at the back of a drawer.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you are talking about the In House Display that sits in your kitchen - the Meter itself is in an outdoor meter box or in the garage. That is what you need to read for your monthly readings - put the IHD toy away in a drawer.

You will have a long wait if you are expecting your BG SMETS1 to get upgraded - one day perhaps but don't hold your breath.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ... and when the 'upgrade' does happen, it doesn't make a SMETS1 meter into a SMETS2 meter, it will just be a SMETS1 meter enrolled with the DCC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback