Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Buying in bulk to save money - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Buying in bulk to save money

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
37 replies 3.9K views

Replies

• A good way to save is to bulk buy cleaning fluids and refil old bottles and sprays. If you search for C9 Catering on amazon.co.uk you can get some made in UK cleaner, washing up fluid, bleach etc in 5L bottles. No affiliation, just recently ordered some.
  • Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We buy the big bottles of Bio d (toilet cleaner, washing up, sanitizer etc) and decant into smaller bottles.
    I bulk bought bicarbonate of soda in cardboard boxes (way cheaper this way I found.
    Last time I bought soya beans I bought 5kg. Same with the British quinoa; 5kg. I buy the large bags of nishiki rice (10lb bags at least). I decant these into food grade buckets and I have dessiccants that are re-use from food products I buy and replaced when needed to help with moisture in these also.

We bulk buy the chinchilla food, hay and sand. We store these in boxes on top of his large cage.

The key with bulk buy is only do so with items you will get through.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • kimplus8kimplus8 Forumite
    902 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We buy the big bottles of Bio d (toilet cleaner, washing up, sanitizer etc) and decant into smaller bottles.
    I bulk bought bicarbonate of soda in cardboard boxes (way cheaper this way I found.
    Last time I bought soya beans I bought 5kg. Same with the British quinoa; 5kg. I buy the large bags of nishiki rice (10lb bags at least). I decant these into food grade buckets and I have dessiccants that are re-use from food products I buy and replaced when needed to help with moisture in these also.

We bulk buy the chinchilla food, hay and sand. We store these in boxes on top of his large cage.

The key with bulk buy is only do so with items you will get through.
    where do you bulk buy your cleaning products from? i really like biod and i use bicarb for cleaning.:o
    Mum to 9 Amazing Kids :eek: Dave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.:money:
  • kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I bulk buy washing up liquid in 5L tubs, toilet roll from Aldi when the large packs are on offer, branston beans when on offer, Original Source shower gel when reduced, coffee for work tea club & biscuits when cheap
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
  • Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bio d have their own shop and you can order directly through them. Ethical super store . com is another option or even Amazon have it as an option aswell.

The bicarbonate was dri-pak which you can get most places I believe. I bought 6 at once and can't for the life of me remember where now. They were a good price so I bulk bought.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • GreenQueenGreenQueen Forumite
    531 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    It depends on how much storage space you have and where you live. We are rural, and have plenty of space, so can take advantage of things like large bags of potatoes, carrots, onions, and have plenty of farm shops to choose from. May be more tricky in a small, urban house.

Do you have a local eco facebook page. Ours is good for connecting with people who know about current deals on bulk buys, the WGAC collective, etc. We all use oil heating in our village and there are collectives that help you share the delivery charge and get a bulk discount if over a certain number of people have delivery in the same journey. Sharing bulk buys with neighbours may also be an option.
    2020 - banish the clutter - 8/2020
  • HannimalHannimal Forumite
    540 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I think bulk buying from the eco shops unfortunately is more expensive than just buying supermarket own brands. It's such a shame! But a lot of the cheap brands such as co-op own brand are meant to be fairly ecological, vegan etc. It's just a shame they don't do refills for that price!!
    £4,531.78 out of target £07,000 65% of total in the £12k in 2020 challenge - #123

Made £2,125.97 since started money saving - from bank switches, cashback etc
  • carriebradshawcarriebradshaw Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I used to buy napolina toms in bulk when on offer, but they aren't as good as they used to be and I no longer buy them. I was getting tins with watery juices, and sometimes green hard tomatoes in, so now I prefer to buy Tesco growers harvest, they're really lovely and only cost 28p a tin.I can't always get across to the city to buy them though so I sometimes buy some Safeway branded toms in McColl which are 55p per tin, they are equally good,
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to hang my head in shame.

I am not a great cook...........use tomatoes in so many things..........and like the richness of Napolina the best.

This bit gets more shamefull...........

Before I knew any better I used to pay a WHOLE pound for them.

AAaaaaarrrggghhhhh:(

Have you tried the Freshonia brand tomatoes from Lidl?, usually retail between 32p and 35p a tin. Seriously they are soooooooo good you don't need to use tomato puree along with them. So thick in the juice I sometimes need to go twice with the swirl of water to get it all out
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't bulk buy. I do have storage but theres just 3 of us here

I do buy extra if its on special, Like I can only use the powder persil soap powder. Big box is £10 but at least twice a year they drop the price to £4 so Ill buy 2 then, and lidl toilet roll, when that drops in price Ill buy a few packs but thats about it really

Id love the buy the cat food in bulk, but they keep changing their mind about what they like so every time Ive thought I was onto a winner, the local cat charity has benefitted

Everything else is bought as one in use, one spare. That way I rarely pay full price anyways

Now mother, she stock piles. I have 32 cans of soup under the stairs and 22 tins of tuna thats she bought. She doesn't like soup, and neither me nor Mr S take tinned soup very often ( twice a year maybe?? ) so why she does it I don't know. I just donate it bit by bit to the food bank, then she notices we are running low and goes buy more :rotfl: