New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Smart TV

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
21 replies 1.1K views
Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
2.8K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
I'm trying to decide which smart TV to get. I've always has Sony in the past, and have found this one:

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd55xg8196-2019-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-android-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-hd-youview-black/p4075237

I've also been reading about Samsung, and this one came up:

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue50ru7100-2019-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-50-inch-with-tvplus-apple-tv-app-charcoal-black/p4059501

Any suggestions which one to go for? I'm not experienced at Smart TVs, so am particularly interested in whether the Sony or Samsung system may be best. Are they both stable systems?

I'll be using it with Freeview if that makes a difference.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer the first one as Android and Access to Google play.

Samsung recently withdrew support for Netflix on some older models which would worry me
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I'd prefer the first one as Android and Access to Google play.

Samsung recently withdrew support for Netflix on some older models which would worry me
    I would rather go for the one with the better screen, “smart” can be dumb most times, you can add a stick/pi/phone/tablet etc for the latest other “must haves” for little or no extra cost.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather go for the one with the better screen, “smart” can be dumb most times, you can add a stick/pi/phone/tablet etc for the latest other “must haves” for little or no extra cost.

Both screens are good. I'm mainly unsure about the 'Smart' aspects, and how reliable they are. Will one crash more frequently than the other?
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had a Sony smart TV for a while now. It's OK, quite often the "smart" bit isn't that smart. I don't know if it's Sony's fault or the content provider's fault but turning it off & on again usually sorts it! That's turning it right off, at the wall.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • thorganbythorganby Forumite
    515 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have a similar Sony model and it has great picture, sound and features, so I would recommend the Sony.

I think that they all benefit from a re-boot every now and again, as they are basically computers running Android in the case of the Sony.
  • Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I got a more expensive Sony model, would the software be the same?
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouble with smart tvs after a few years they get slow and more often that not rarely get updates. All our smart tvs and we have 4 latest being a LG 4ktv use amazon firestick 4k even on a 720p tv in bedroom. Its as fast as my LG smart tv because thats fairly new but my 3 year old samsung tv is now struggling with some things now.

I probably go for the sony, Lg make some excellent tvs though I got mine last year from richer sounds.
  • edited 6 January 2020 at 10:08PM
    Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2020 at 10:08PM
    Does the software not update itself?

Could I use youtube and catch up with an Amazon fire stick?
  • edited 6 January 2020 at 10:24PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2020 at 10:24PM
    buy your first choice.........Sony Smart Android, its all you need

• mobileronmobileron Forumite
    691 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sony will be the better picture and you will have the advantages of the app store to download the android apps,Samsung apps library is very limited.