PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage in Spouse’s Name Only?

Options
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I couldn’t find this.

My husband and I are currently in the process of buying a house, however, due to my credit rating the mortgage will be in his name only.

As I will be living there but not named on the mortgage the lender have said I need to sign a form to say that I have no interest in the property.

I was just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks ��
:)If you are not very careful, your possessions will possess you! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I couldn’t find this.

My husband and I are currently in the process of buying a house, however, due to my credit rating the mortgage will be in his name only.

As I will be living there but not named on the mortgage the lender have said I need to sign a form to say that I have no interest in the property.

I was just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks ��

Yes it's perfectly normal. Your husband will be the one who is legally responsible for making the mortgage payments. Should he fall behind the lender wants to be able to repossess the property without you being able stop the process by claiming a beneficial interest.

Are you absolutely positive you cannot be party to the mortgage? Have you used a mortgage broker to find a mortgage? What's so bad in your credit history that prevents you from being on the mortgage? People with defaults and even CCJ can get mortgages depending on how old they are, size of deposit, etc.
  • abercrombie
    Options
    I’m in a DMP at the moment and we tried brokers etc and they couldn’t help.

So the form they want me to sign doesn’t affect my rights as a spouse?
    :)If you are not very careful, your possessions will possess you! :)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m in a DMP at the moment and we tried brokers etc and they couldn’t help.

So the form they want me to sign doesn’t affect my rights as a spouse?

No, it doesn't actually mean you're giving up your rights versus your spouse, just that you won't obstruct the lender repossessing the property.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    100% normal.

Will the house also just be in his name?

In practice you shouldn't worry as you're his spouse you're still entitled to a split of any equity should you divorce. You should ensure you both have wills to save any complication if the worst happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure