Should I officially charge my Son rent

SpencerxSpencerx Forumite
20 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
When my Son started work years ago I asked him to pay rent or £50. This covered his meals, laundry and utilities etc. He then left home for a few years but came back sso I started charging him rent again, still £50. Then he was out of work so I didn't ask him for anything. He was getting around £79 a week in benefit. He found another job but doesn't have regular hours and he won't tell me how much he is earning, but I'm guessing it doesn't work out as much as a full time job. I have now asked him to pay me £30 a week. I am wondering if I should make this official with a rent book. Would he then be able to claim univeral credit with some money towards his rent to me. He couldn't do this before as it wasn't official. My husband and I are retired and don't claim any benefit so it should make any difference to us. Any advice would be welcome or would the CAB be able to help me.


  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Your son wouldn't get any housing benefit / payment towards his rent as he lives at home.

    Nothing stopping him claiming universal credit if he is on a low wage, no guarantee he will receive anything as it depends on his income, but again he wouldn't receive anything towards the rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools