Alternative to Hi Life cat food

Options
Fen1
Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
My fussy cat really loved the old Hi Life fish ( the gloopy one with squid.) The new formulation is OK, but not a patch on the old one.
Does anyone know of a substitute? I can't seem to find a gloopy fish flavour. He likes Thrive and Applaws which are fish flakes. He's not keen on very solid or mousse.
He doesn't eat raw; I've tried.
I would prefer the formulation to be grain free as my other cat has to be grain free ( the supermarket usual suspects are therefore out.)

Comments

• littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My cat gets fussy on dry food so I change it every now and again, when I used to feed my previous cats on wet food we tried everything, supermarket brands etc but in the end my cats love a tin of tuna flakes in spring water, we put very small amounts of food down and remove after 10 mins
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always keep a variety of foods as my two definitely get bored eating the same stuff. It would be great if I could find a wet food that was similar to the old Hi Life.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you contacted HiLife? It's the only food my allergy-prone cat can have and when they changed a formulation I contacted them and they sent me some samples of their other cat foods to try. For a while I could find the old formulation in the discount shops (B&M, Home Bargains etc) but that seems to have dried up now.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    My fussy cat really loved the old Hi Life fish ( the gloopy one with squid.) The new formulation is OK, but not a patch on the old one.
    Does anyone know of a substitute? I can't seem to find a gloopy fish flavour. He likes Thrive and Applaws which are fish flakes. He's not keen on very solid or mousse.
    He doesn't eat raw; I've tried.
    I would prefer the formulation to be grain free as my other cat has to be grain free ( the supermarket usual suspects are therefore out.)

Hi, mine are Thrive and Applaws fed (although they've gone off Applaws recently). They LOVE Almo Nature (I think it's a slightly tastier recipe than Applaws, but very similar in make up) - the chicken, tuna and ham Almo Nature one is their favourite. The Chicken and Liver Thrive one also goes down well, if you're looking for something other than tuna flakes.

I don't know about Hi Life, but for a different consistency, try Meowing Heads. It looks almost moussy, but it isn't (mine won't touch mousse or pate), it's quite gloopy in texture. It's grain-free as well. Not quite as high quality as Almo, Thrive or Applaws (meat / fish content is closer to 70% than 95%) but mine really like it. Which surprised me, given how different it is to the flakey ones!

HTH
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure