replacement fixed showerhead Hansgrohe

Options
Hi,

We have a fixed shower in an ensuite.

Its a Hansgrohe 27159000 coma 100 showerpipe ecosmart

Purchased in 2012.

The fixed showerhead is faulty. Full of limescale and even rusting in a small part.

I have unscrewed the showered.

Can I just use any showerhead? Are the fittings all generic, making them interchangeable? Ive seen a whole range of different makes that look v similar and much more keenly priced.

The shower is in a tiny ensuite that is more functional than designer.

Or am I committed to replacing like for like?

Comments

• Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2019 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Can you soak the showerhead in a solution of citric acid or another descaler and remove the rust with fine gauge sandpaper?

It could come up like new with little effort and save you the cost of a replacement.

Citric acid is far cheaper than a proprietary descaler such as Kilrock.

I bought half a kilo of it on eBay and have used it for years to descale our kettle etc.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    will try but I would still like guidance on whether shower heads are interchangeable?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    Options
    In my limited experience, showerheads seem to come in one standard size, but to avoid wasting your money, I would suggest you contact Hansgrohe technical services and ask them for advice on sourcing a replacement shower head. You can use this link: https://pro.hansgrohe.co.uk/4304.htm
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Belenus
    edited 1 January 2020 at 3:53PM
    Options
    As far as I am aware shower fittings designed for the UK will have a standard 1/2 Inch BSP thread.

Read these links.

I've never owned a shower with an overhead showerhead but I have had many different makes of wall mounted showers and I never seen one that wasn't 1/2 Inch BSP thread.

I would be surprised if overhead showerheads were not 1/2 Inch BSP but it is possible that some manufacturers may use different sized fittings.

You could take you showerhead to a local plumbers or bathroom showroom and ask them.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
  • nofoollikeold
    Options
    The Croma 100 fixed head is attached via a 1/2" BSP (G 1/2) fitting. The female thread is in the shower head, the male on the end of the supply pipe.
    If you can find a shower head with a G 1/2 female fitting, you shouldn't have any trouble attaching it.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The item won’t be faulty . It’s failed due to poor maintenance.

Most shower heads are 1/2bsp , can’t think of any that don’t fit this size . Bristan, crosswater will all do similar styled heads
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ps some may require a extra washer or two if they have limited threads . Hansgrohe usually have around 7 full threads on there shower pipes and arms
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • tired_dad
    Options
    What maintenance?
  • tired_dad
    Options
    Belenus wrote: »
    Can you soak the showerhead in a solution of citric acid or another descaler and remove the rust with fine gauge sandpaper?

It could come up like new with little effort and save you the cost of a replacement.

Citric acid is far cheaper than a proprietary descaler such as Kilrock.

I bought half a kilo of it on eBay and have used it for years to descale our kettle etc.

top advice. Was convinced a new head would be required.

Got a "professional limescale remover" from Tesco.

Worked a treat. All limescale gone. Used fresh PTFE tape and screwed in the old head.

Works fine.

Many thanks

for reference this is the stuff I used
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301948609?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+All+Products+%2B+Tesco+Brand*New:+Non-Food:+Home+%26+Entertainment:+Household*PRODUCT_GROUP301948609*&ds_rl=1116019&ds_rl=1116016&ds_rl=1116019&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OmL0ZHl5gIViLHtCh0LZQAFEAQYASABEgKT0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Belenus
    Options
    I'm pleased that you got it sorted. :beer:

HG is good stuff. I use some of their products although for descaling I use citric acid as it is a lot cheaper.
    tired_dad wrote: »
    What maintenance?

An occasional clean and descale as you have just done is all that is required.

As you are presumably in a hard water area a water softener would considerably reduce the scaling. They are not cheap and require somewhere to be fitted, usually under the kitchen sink, but they do provide lovely soft water for showering and bathing as well as reducing or eliminating scale build up in pipework and fittings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family