IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

G24 pc

hello!

looking to see if anyone can offer any advice on this asap? a car had parked in a car park near the b&m, cumbernauld in scotland where there are signs at one of the entrances (funnily enough the other is blocked) and on the b&m building itself but no where else within the car park. the person was in at an appointment which also ran over time, but had parked in a completely separate area of the car park where there was no sign posts detailing there was a restriction or else they would have went elsewhere.

a letter from g24 was received requesting payment of £50, which was ignored, another letter has been received from them as a reminder now asking for £90 - this has now escalated to a debt recovery agency and is now asking for £150. this is all in scotland where they cannot force you into paying these types of charges.

can someone offer any advice? all letters have so far been ignored and no contact made but just worried about further letters/action/etc

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    this is all in scotland where they cannot force you into paying these types of charges.
    Not at the moment. All will change around Spring time, but it's unlikely to be retrospective. So you are following the right strategy in ignoring this.

In the extraordinary event of you receiving any court papers, come back on this thread - but I suspect you won't need to.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 December 2019 at 11:20AM
    As already mentioned, ignoring a PCN in Scotland is the correct thing to do ... at the moment, becasue there is no keeper liability. This will change soon so watch out if you get another PCN next year when the new Transport Bill (Scotland) has been enacted.

It has not escalated to debt collectors, it has degenerated into the sewer.

Debt collectors have no powers and can safely be ignored throughout the UK as long as a NTK has been received.

Saying "they cannot be enforced" is not correct since a judge can so order, but that is extremely unlikely … at the moment. However, I think Scottish motorists and Scottish courts are in for a rude awakening soon.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business