Debt Recovery Plus Demand for Payment

Dear all,

I received a letter from DRP today for a Euro Car Parks PCN from 27/9/19. This letter has come to me as the registered Keeper, not the Driver.
The keeper has not received any previous correspondence from ECP as these letter have likely been sent to a prior address as several house moves have occurred in the past 12 months.
Where do I stand with this?
I don’t know if I can appeal, and as I have never received the original PCN from ECP I do not even know what the original charge was.
DRP are demanding £145.
The offence was parking in a pub car park without paying via phone.
I know the general advice is to ignore debt recovery letters, but a brief bit of googling has suggested that I bear liability as the keeper (irrespective of who the driver was)?
Any advice would be great fully accepted.

Many thanks,

LDW

Replies

• RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    see post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread, it deals with debt letters, especially from [email protected] like DRPL

Email a SAR to the DPO at ECP, plus a data rectification notice to amend your address to your current address too

ignore DRPL

there was no offence, its not a criminal issue

the keeper only has liability under POFA if the PPC jumped through every POFA hoop

its much too late to appeal, but never too late to complain to a landowner
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the general advice is to ignore debt recovery letters,

so, why are you not doing so?

but a brief bit of googling has suggested that I bear liability as the keeper

Only if a judge says so.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DRP are demanding £145.
    The offence was parking in a pub car park without paying via phone.

DRP are only money bandits and of course you don't owe £145, you ignore the brain dead

Complain to the pub, you are a customer and ask them to cancel it.

Failing that, go to your local press ...... that would well hurt the pub that they employ scammers
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only the press, TripAdviser, Facebook and any/all local pub guides.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Euro Car Parks are not known for suing people for single tickets. Sit tight but send an email to ECP DPO, telling them to ERASE the old address from their database and confirming your correct address for service.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides