First car accident what do I do?

Options
At 40 years old I have had my first car accident.

Another car went into the back of me on a roundabout while I was stationary so not my fault. He’s reported it to his insurance, I haven’t yet as mine are now closed. But I’ve had a message from his insurer and I’m wondering if I even need to inform/involve my insurer.

This is what they sent me:

Dear Mr X. Sorry to hear you've been involved in an accident with our customer. To minimise any inconvenience to you, we'd like to arrange repairs to your car and provide you with a replacement hire car. This is free of charge and ensures your own insurance policy is unaffected. If you would like our help, please call Ashleigh Robertson on 0345 604 7492, quoting reference xxxxxxx

Comments

• couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 December 2019 at 8:42PM
    Options
    At 40 years old I have had my first car accident.

Another car went into the back of me on a roundabout while I was stationary so not my fault. He’s reported it to his insurance, I haven’t yet as mine are now closed. But I’ve had a message from his insurer and I’m wondering if I even need to inform/involve my insurer.

This is what they sent me:

Dear Mr X. Sorry to hear you've been involved in an accident with our customer. To minimise any inconvenience to you, we'd like to arrange repairs to your car and provide you with a replacement hire car. This is free of charge and ensures your own insurance policy is unaffected. If you would like our help, please call Ashleigh Robertson on 0345 604 7492, quoting reference xxxxxxx

Some on here will insist you must inform your insurance company.....others myself included will say contact his insurance company and not yours.i wont say anymore because it will fan the flames for certain people on here
  • salesman1979
    Options
    Obviously I’d need to declare this non fault accident at renewal I just don’t see why they’d need to know now
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use his insurer to do the repairs.

Inform yours, and tell them that it's all in hand.
  • couriervanman
    Options
    Obviously I’d need to declare this non fault accident at renewal I just don’t see why they’d need to know now

Again that's a touchy subject on here some will say yes.....others no;)
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Check your terms and conditions. You may be obliged to inform them now. If you're going to inform them anyway, I don't see what difference it makes whether you do so now or at renewal. You don't want to risk being in breach of your policy terms.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Some on here will insist you must inform your insurance company.....others myself included will say contact his insurance company and not yours.i wont say anymore because it will fan the flames for certain people on here

Given the third party has already reported it to his insurance company and the will have entered the accident onto the Cue database. What possible reason can you give for the op not informing his insurance company?
  • salesman1979
    Options
    I’ll use his for repairs and hire car. Is my excess still payable?

What if I’m putting a whiplash claim in? What’s the best way? This happened about 5 hours ago and I’m currently laying on the bed with a huge amount of pain building in my upper back. I was going to just see my GP in the new year but now I’m considering going to hospital due to the pain.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    What if I’m putting a whiplash claim in? What’s the best way? This happened about 5 hours ago and I’m currently laying on the bed with a huge amount of pain building in my upper back. I was going to just see my GP in the new year but now I’m considering going to hospital due to the pain.
    Then definitely contact your insurer. It's now become much more serious than just a straightforward bump.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    I’ll use his for repairs and hire car. Is my excess still payable?

No and it's too early for a whiplash claim.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is that a genuine No for the other parties ins co & not a 3rd party claims co?

Whiplash get to hospital. Just to make sure that you are not accused of faking a injury for a extra payout.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport