Polycarbonate conservatory roof

Options
Dear all, I need to replace the polycarbonate roof on my cheapo B&Q lean-to conservatory. I started off googling and soon became bewildered so if there is anyone who's done this and can advise...

OK so a google threw up loads and loads of swanky companies keen to sign me up for a fancy new roof but none of them was local.

I also found some sites that actually sell the sheets of polycarbonate, presumably for DIYers. Sadly I am elderly and no longer able to do that kind of work. My questions are:

1) should I choose polycarbonate again or go for glass?

2) do they make clear poly roofs?

3) Should I engage a big company, or buy the sheets myself and engage a builder to install them?

Thanks

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glass is better, but you will probably find the roof designed for polycarbonate won't be suitable for glass, due to a variety of factors; increased weight being a major one.

You might be able to get a local double glazing firm to replace the polycarb. They might also quote for a completely new glazed roof, but the possibility of the latter would depend on the support offered by the walls and windows.

Try to stay away from big nationals. Someone has to pay for their advertising, but it needn't be you.
  • Blot
    Blot Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Polycarbonate is quite good . You can get it triple cell for good insulation , can be a bit noisy with heavy rain or hail. Lasts well given an annual wash with soap and water . I am happy with my Polycarbonate roof.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The OP will know how noisy a polycarbonate roof is in heavy rain :-) Our neighbour's conservatory has a polycarbonate roof and you can't have a conversation in their during heavy rain. There are also quite impressive bangs from the roof when it heats and cools (expands and contracts). We have none of those problems with a glass roof.
  • travelodger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all of you.

Am I weird in loving the sound of rain --- and even better, HAIL, on my conservatory's poly roof? I love it! And I go out and stand in the room just to experience it. I find hail and lightning quite thrilling!

Is there such a thing as a clear poly roof? It would be great to see the underside of seagulls' webbed feet and also my cat's paws as he's always up there.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I used clear polycarbonate for the roof of what used to be a garage, turned into a greenhouse/conservatory. At the time you could but clear or tinted.

Compared to glass it's much easier to fit (I did it myself), lasts well ( 20+ years), but does have a high coefficient of thermal expansion so sealing the edges correctly is important, else you will get leaks!
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • travelodger
    Options
    There are a couple of local DG firms near me. I will ask each for a quote. Thanks.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Is there such a thing as a clear poly roof?
    No, the cells in the ones you see are there to increase strength and rigidity.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    I would look at whether you have lockable doors between the house & conservatory & if not what it says in your house insurance
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • travelodger
    Options
    OK folks I have now had three quotes.

£4,995

£4,750

£1,845

All for an identical product and job.

All three firms have loads of great reviews including more than 9/10 on Check a Trade (which I know is a bit of a con).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure