Will UC claim close

I have a friend who has made a claim for Universal Credit with his partner. He is working part time and his partner is too ill to work. This month they have received no Universal Credit because as well as his part time earnings he unexpectedly received some holiday pay from his previous employer. He thought that their UC claim would be closed and that they would need to reclaim but he has checked today and it appears that it is still open. When the UC claim was made as his partner was too ill to work a fit note was submitted and she has now been asked to complete a UC50. Could this be the reason why the claim has been left open?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Roundhay23 wrote: »
    I have a friend who has made a claim for Universal Credit with his partner. He is working part time and his partner is too ill to work. This month they have received no Universal Credit because as well as his part time earnings he unexpectedly received some holiday pay from his previous employer. He thought that their UC claim would be closed and that they would need to reclaim but he has checked today and it appears that it is still open. When the UC claim was made as his partner was too ill to work a fit note was submitted and she has now been asked to complete a UC50. Could this be the reason why the claim has been left open?

It could be. If a UC50 has been issued the claim should be kept open if the award of LCWRA would result in UC being payable in the future. However claims are still frequently closed in these circumstances.

It also be that UC simply haven't got around to closing the claim. I recommend your friend and partner check their UC journals frequently to make sure the claim is still open. If they see the claim has been closed there will be a Reclaim option in their journals which will allow them to make a rapid reclaim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure