Keep Being Overpaid Despite Leaving in September

Options

Comments

• etherealinsanity
    Options
    HI TELLIT01,

I'm actually a 'she' not a 'he' but thank you for all of your help so far! :)

I'm going to talk to HMRC on Monday just to get some clarity on what'll happen if it does end up looking as though I'm working two jobs in two completely different locations, and try to pressure my old department that way as well.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You get the tax code put on the new job ASAP old job set to no allowance.

That can be done quite quickly.

Not quite as simple as that since the department the OP has left hasn't ended her remuneration so no P45 can be issued. If payment persists then they will be separate payments, one with a tax code the other taken at basic rate. The new job would be the one taxed at basic rate. Since the taxed at allowance would be the one the OP is diverting so it can be repaid, the OP would be impacted by 20% on the earnings she receives in her new job. Not at all fair.
  • Floop
    Floop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do get a P45 when you change govt departments and move from one payroll to the next, but it’s treated as continuous service within a certain timeframe and the payrolls do communicate.

If your manager’s manager also isn’t doing anything, try and get in touch with the relevant HR Business Partner. They’ll get it sorted. (HR BPs work within the business and deal with hiring/firing issues but don’t do payroll)

Re HMRC I think you should expect that it will all work out in the end, but you will probably be over taxed this financial year and get a refund after April 2020. HMRC will only take notice of what they have reported to them by the employer on the RTI system. Make sure you keep hold of all the relevant docs.

Don’t worry about the pre employment checks taking a long time for your new job, they can take forever and a day!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Not quite as simple as that since the department the OP has left hasn't ended her remuneration so no P45 can be issued. If payment persists then they will be separate payments, one with a tax code the other taken at basic rate. The new job would be the one taxed at basic rate. Since the taxed at allowance would be the one the OP is diverting so it can be repaid, the OP would be impacted by 20% on the earnings she receives in her new job. Not at all fair.

You get HMRC to swap the allowance to the new job, get onto it quickly could be done before second payment in the new job.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    If you do write to your mp then include a letter of authority for them to talk to whoever they need to.

I had cause to get my mp involved in a case with the dwp & it was slightly delayed because I had to provide this authority
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't want to cause any problems by getting people in trouble, but it's getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

Without names of individuals it will be far more difficult to follow the paper trail (e-mail or phone) so that information is important. You aren't getting anybody into trouble, the person(s) failing to do their job are the ones at fault. It's entirely possible that your old manager (for example) is passing everything on and it's further up the line where it's going wrong.

Again, from personal experience, far too many staff will literally stick difficult problems in a box in the hope that they will simply go away.

Your concern needs to be getting things sorted as quickly as possible.
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a familiar tale. i haven't worked for the Civil Service but when I work for our local council I transferred departments and almost lost my new position because my old managers couldn't be bothered to send a reference.

I had to keep contacting them over and over again, until they did their job.

I use to have a great deal of respect for the public sector and dismissed all stories about waste and incompetence as Daily Mail rubbish. Now, I have nothing but contempt for public sector management.

I agree with other posters, keep all the paperwork and leave the money in a savings account. You will be waiting till the end of time for them to get off their backsides and sort this out.
  • etherealinsanity
    Options
    Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I've been checking my bank account regularly since midnight and so far it doesn't look as though they've overpaid me for this month. I assume that means that something's happened on their end to stop the overpayments which I just haven't been notified about but I still want to find out about getting a P45 or P60 and making repayments.

I tried calling HMRC a few times as well but couldn't get through so I'll try them again as well, but hopefully this is a sign that something's happening after all these months!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been checking my bank account regularly since midnight and so far it doesn't look as though they've overpaid me for this month. I assume that means that something's happened on their end to stop the overpayments which I just haven't been notified about but I still want to find out about getting a P45 or P60 and making repayments.

I tried calling HMRC a few times as well but couldn't get through so I'll try them again as well, but hopefully this is a sign that something's happening after all these months!
    I don't usually find that my salary hits my bank account on a bank holiday, and I KNOW that money doesn't leave the work bank account on anything but a normal working day.

However ... phoning HMRC: worth doing this slightly earlier than their advertised opening time because they sometimes pick up then, and even if they don't you'll be ready to call again once they are open.

AND if you don't gt the P45, but tell HMRC you have left that employment, they will chase it up for you.

You won't get a P60: that is given if you are working for an employer at the end of a tax year. If you leave before the end of the tax year, it's the P45.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • etherealinsanity
    Options
    Thanks for your help so far everyone.

The December payment still hasn't entered my account but I spoke to HMRC this morning and was told that the internship was still registered as a 'live job' and that a December payment of over £1800 had been sent to me by the department in question. HMRC echoed what many of you have said, informing me that an emergency tax rate would be set for the second job and that any tax taken would not be returned.

I also got in touch with my manager and HR again and learned that, though my contract with them is still open, an order was created on 20th December to stop all further payments from entering my bank account. This prevents the department from making any further losses, but leads HMRC to believe that I'm still working and being paid. It's the same case with the council, who have accepted that I shouldn't be paying council tax for the months that I haven't been working, but will have to as I'm technically still under contract with my old team. Again, this tax isn't something that can be returned to me.

My manager said she would dedicate the morning to talking with HR and resolving the matter but I've heard nothing else from her all day and HR just keep telling me to pass on other bits of information to her as they "don't personally chase these things up". I've emailed my MP and one of his case workers said she would email them on my behalf, but I don't know if that'll have any effect.

I'm at a complete loss of what to do at this point except contacting ACAS as the HMRC person suggested today, though I don't know if they'd be able to help either?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure