Can't Connect Old Games Console?

I have some old consoles: Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar, Playstation 1 and a megadrive. I wanted to set them up to show the kids but the connection don't match the old computer monitor unfortunately.
I have googled it finding that i might need a converter box (according to Wikihow) but i can't find one on Ebay etc.
Any ideas to how to do this with less hassle or cost?:huh:
Don't Trust Anybody!

Replies

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    You don't say what connections the consoles have, but I'll avoid too much speculation and confusion and provide a very cheap or free solution:
    An old CRT TV. Monitors aren't for consoles, they're for computers.

You're looking for something that has an analogue tuner, if you've got a console with RF modulation.
    The Jaguar, Playstation 1 and Megadrive should all be able to do the yellow, white and red phono plugs, which most TVs should have (even if there are only 2 phonos instead of 3, you'll get mono sound).
    If you're lucky enough to have SCART connectors with the consoles that would be an improvement.
  • edited 31 December 2019 at 12:30AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2019 at 12:30AM
    I connected my PS1 using scart, I think I either had a direct scart to PS1 cable or it had the red white and yellow connections on the 1 end which went into the relevant holes which had a scart connection other side for the tv like here.

I don know the PS1 picture was poor compared to what I'm used to now.
  • You could connect to a TV through the RF lead, and if you have SCART connections a cheap SCART to HDMI converter and if you get serious about using these machines there are a whole range of solutions from Framemeister to OSSC and new cables with HDMI connections. It can get pricey though I use a Framemeister to connect old machines to modern screens a bit of investment as it cost around £280 but it was well worth it to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland now offers interest-free loans

But be careful - they'll impact your credit score

MSE News

Vanilla, veg & vexatious neighbours

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Up to 10% off Macs and iPads

For students, teachers & parents of students

MSE Deals