edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
4 replies 1.6K views
Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
5.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
Afternoon everyone,

We need to get some Metacam for our cat.

The Vet wants £55 for a 30ml bottle, it's £17 online!
Asked for a prescription for it, and got 'Yes sir, that'll be £45'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know vets take the Michael, but this is just insane.

Anyone know how to get the prescription without the vet taking the p***?

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A vet can only give a prescription for an animal under his care.

So you need to pay for a consultation fee and a fee for writing the prescription.

Is the £45 the cost of both of these.?

My vet charges £29 for a consultation fee and £14 for writing the prescription.

Ask your vet surgery how much they charge for writing a prescription

Each vet has their own criteria of how many repeats they will issue before they need to see the animal again. Ours is 3 months.some are 6 months.

At these times there will be another consultation fee as well as the prescription fee.
  • Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber wrote: »
    A vet can only give a prescription for an animal under his care.

So you need to pay for a consultation fee and a fee for writing the prescription.

Is the £45 the cost of both of these.?

My vet charges £29 for a consultation fee and £14 for writing the prescription.

Ask your vet surgery how much they charge for writing a prescription

Each vet has their own criteria of how many repeats they will issue before they need to see the animal again. Ours is 3 months.some are 6 months.

At these times there will be another consultation fee as well as the prescription fee.

The £45 is just the fee for the script.
    I had the consult yesterday and paid that, thought I had enough Metacam for the course at home (which was only a few weeks old for our other cat).
    I checked the price online and then called them. Once they thought I wasn't going to buy the meds from them and asked for the change for just the script it was £45. . .
  • Accountant_KerryAccountant_Kerry Forumite
    616 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    unfortunately it usually only works out cheaper online in the end for long term meds not for one off courses I find
    About time I added a signature really 
  • FosterdogFosterdog Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be changing vets with charges like that, I've never even had a consult fee charged for repeat prescriptions only the very first consult. I've used several local vets over the years and the most expensive prescription has been £19 and the lowest just £7. Some vets charge less for a prescription for a drug that they cannot get in than they do for one they can get in.

Ring around a few other vets in your area to compare prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides