Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done on meal plans and budget. 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello JoeDenise - that's a bit of a trek for you to the supermarket - I've never wanted to go to the supermarket less than I do at the moment.  I'm doing ok using stores for meals this week and I went to the butchers earlier for a Saturday treat. 
    Posted a return to amaz*n at lunchtime and £30 refund has been confirmed already.  Didn't need to print a label, the post office scanned the QR code and printed the label for me.  
    I've really struggled with work this week - not with being able to do it but with wanting to do it.  I've got enough leave left to be able to have a day off per week for the next few weeks which will help.  I'll try to use my lack of enthusiasm for work as a motivation for saving for my retirement.  
  • savingholmes
    I think these first few weeks back in January are normally a struggle. First day back is normally peak time for resignations / job hunting. Bound to be harder this year...  Glad you got refund so quickly.
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • Blackcats said:
    Hello JoeDenise - that's a bit of a trek for you to the supermarket - I've never wanted to go to the supermarket less than I do at the moment.  I'm doing ok using stores for meals this week and I went to the butchers earlier for a Saturday treat. 
    Posted a return to amaz*n at lunchtime and £30 refund has been confirmed already.  Didn't need to print a label, the post office scanned the QR code and printed the label for me.  
    I've really struggled with work this week - not with being able to do it but with wanting to do it.  I've got enough leave left to be able to have a day off per week for the next few weeks which will help.  I'll try to use my lack of enthusiasm for work as a motivation for saving for my retirement.  
    That's what I have done with my leave I'm doing 4 day weeks between now and end of march. It's a nice feeling. Ive mostly gone for weds as my day off as well to break the week up. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • savingholmes
    Love the 4 day week idea. I am thinking of buying holiday next year - so I can have more time off from work - I normally do - but I wanted to boost my pension and get debt-free quicker so didn't this year - and have really missed the extra days off.
  • Blackcats
    Sarah - It's a very good feeling isn't it - I've gone for a mix of days off - this week it's Friday and next Monday which gives an extra long weekend that I'm looking forward to already.  Saving Holmes, I buy a week's extra leave - the extra time off is worth it to me but I appreciate you prioritised the income this year.  However, if you are building up passive income you might find that the cost of the extra leave is offset by your ability to work on your books?  
    Nothing spent today but yesterday I bought wrapping paper which means that I've got all the cards and paper that I need for the first 6 months of the year.  Fortuitously I am planning to buy some birthday flowers to be delivered to a friend who I usually meet up with for their birthday and I got a 10% off code In my email this morning .... every little helps and I shall transfer the saving to my "marginal gains savings pot".  
    I made a cherry and coconut cake after work today to have with a cup of tea in the evening when I settle down.  Just had a slice and it was very yummy.  Made some overnight oats with a going out of date yoghurt and more apples from my stash.  I've got frozen blueberries which I'll add in the morning.  Four breakfasts for quite a low cost - I think I'm getting the hang of thi money saving business.  👏
  • savingholmes
    It's amazing what a bit of motivation will get you. Freedom is a pretty big carrot. I think I will buy holidays this year - but I have two points in the year that I can make the commitment - so may wait until September to commit - as otherwise may miss my desired DFD. That does mean the holiday bill would be spread over 6 months instead of 12 though... Unless we get a windfall between now and then... You never know...
  • I think if I had the option I would buy another week's leave as well. I think this year has shown how important it is to take time out and rest. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Blackcats
    SavingHolmes you SavingHolmes you might be surprised at the cost of the additional leave - I think there is a saving on tax and NI so it's not as much as 1/52 of your pay.  
    I agree Sarah time away from work is really important particularly living and working in the same place.
    live done some flawed Blackcats accounting tonight .... I'm currently in a temporary promotion into a job which I really don't enjoy.  I can do the work but it sparks no joy and exposes me to layer upon layer of beaurocracy which is time consuming and frustrating.  However, there is some additional pay so I will stick at it.  But tonight, after a very, very frustrating day we are having a takeaway.  I initially reasoned with myself that the additional pay more than covered the takeaway (although of course the extra pay should be going into my escape plan funds).  Anyway, I could stop that silly inner debate and use the money from my January takeaway budget to pay.  And, I'm having a glass of wine too and I'll feel ready to get back to irk tomorrow for another day in paradise 
  • savingholmes
    Good that you have given yourself budget categories - freedom to spend guilt free. You are on your road to freedom. You'll get there and then the bureaucracy can be something you laugh about.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure