New Post Advanced Search

Our House flooded due to Burst Pipe outside

3 replies 1.2K views
EmancipationEmancipation Forumite
2 posts
a Severn Trent pipe burst outside our home near the main rd and flooded it (water flowing from the front and out the back door!!) causing a lot of damage to the property and many items too.. They have only paid part of the damages and part of the items beyond repair and have asked for a professional report for which I had paid for by a RICS surveyor to come and they typed a complete report of the problems caused. Severn Trent Water have actually said they do not think they need to pay anything more other than the amount they paid which was for only some of the damage and items destroyed even though they asked and I paid for a RICS report to be sent.. Can i take them to court myself? and how do I do that? Kind regards Prad

Replies

• dunrovingdunroving Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have home insurance? If so, let them deal with it. Let them pay for an inspection and let them pursue Severn Trent, if needed.

The whole purpose of home insurance is to take care of these situations and save you the hassle.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Thanks dunroving, I do have home insurance and I have contacted them. I thought perhaps it may be easier to take them to court myself but you are right, just get my insurance to deal with their insurance company and they can fight it out! Thanks
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks dunroving, I do have home insurance and I have contacted them. I thought perhaps it may be easier to take them to court myself but you are right, just get my insurance to deal with their insurance company and they can fight it out! Thanks
    Don't get caught up in a legal battle with any large organisation.  You have insurance so let them earn the money they've had off you over the years.