Treadmill recommendations?

Hi All,

Looking to invest in a treadmill as the council have decided turning off the street lights is a wonder idea and running in the winter is no longer a viable option for me during the week.

I'm thinking either renting one or buying one - does anyone have any brand recommendations?

Replies

• They are expensive clothes horses.
  • Finchy2018Finchy2018 Forumite
    502 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    well....not if you run on a regular basis.
  • grahamgoograhamgoo Forumite
    388 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When I looked into it I found that decent quality treadmills are very expensive. My wife has one but I can't use it as the track keeps slipping when I run on it (and the max speed is not as high as I would like).

I run outdoors on unlit lanes using a headtorch (and reflective top/visibility lights) and that works well for me. Might it be an option for you?
  • Finchy2018Finchy2018 Forumite
    502 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I will look in to that thanks!

I thought they would be pricey - which is why I thought rental might be a better route, especially as it will be seasonal use.
  • i use mine 3-4 times per week in winter for marathon training as i live in a rural area with no street lights and prefer not to run on the dark roads (nor drive to somewhere with street lights), i just do one run at the weekend outdoors to remember what non-treadmill running is like

main consideration is probably the size of the actual running deck (length+width) go as big as you can and also the motor again bigger the better

i bought a nordic track (other brands available) four years ago for about £700 new and it's never given me any trouble, only maintenance is a monthly squirt of lube

i figured even if it only lasted a couple of years it was no more expensive than joining a gym just to use a treadmill and there's the benefit vs. a gym you don't have to travel outside your house to use it + you can do what you want so running half naked with tunes blaring etc. if that's your thing
  • Wouldn't a head torch be a cheaper option if your only thing stopping you running outside is a lack of light?
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • in my case potentially crap winter weather (ice for example) and also rural roads with no streetlights where people have a habit of driving at 70 mph were both reasons to plump for the comfort/convenience of a treadmill for winter training purposes
  • flanker6flanker6 Forumite
    92 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I have one from Branx fitness.
    No trouble with it and I much prefer it for Winter running.
    It has some advantages over road running . . .
    The deck is more forgiving on the joints than the road;
    You can select the exact pace;
    Music, dress, etc require far less trouble;
    I like it cos I could babysit the children in bed whilst still running.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mortgage rates

What can you (or should you) do?

MSE News

Train strikes

Your refund rights explained

MSE News