Rail fine while in Vienna

Options
2»

Comments

• dilby
    dilby Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Worth noting that I have since read they are meant to give me an option of paying later (goes up by 30 euros after certain date etc) but we were told if we didn’t pay there and then he’d call the police. This seems completely out of order so I’ll be pursuing a complaint against this. At least paying later would have meant we could afford to enjoy the rest of our holiday.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP can you explain the exact sentence/paragraph where the word 'trip' appeared? I could not see that anywhere in this thread. It's not a German word so was the ticket description in English?

Too late now but one thing to learn here is, never let go of your driving licence to an official without seeing in your own language, a legal document explaining that officials right to seize it.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    OP can you explain the exact sentence/paragraph where the word 'trip' appeared? I could not see that anywhere in this thread. It's not a German word so was the ticket description in English?

Too late now but one thing to learn here is, never let go of your driving licence to an official without seeing in your own language, a legal document explaining that officials right to seize it.

I'd be surprised if anyone other than a police officer has the authority to take your driving license in any country.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • dilby
    dilby Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »

Ok the ticket machines when you select English the ticket is described as a ‘trip’. It basically has the heading 1 day with trip under it then below That is 24-48 hrs then a 72 hr option. I’ll try to get a photo later. Understand both sides of the argument but I don’t think it’s insane we interpreted trio to mean return.

In regards to the licenses, he asked to see them after we were saying we were tourists as he was initially speaking to us in German. We thought he wanted proof we were tourists. Then he just snatched them from my wife’s hand (this scared here and she started crying). If I had more mental presence at the time I would have handled it differently.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    The only time you should show your driving licence to somebody _on demand_ is if they are a police officer and you are in a car. If you are asked for proof of ID or age, then you have a range of choices, and it is up to you to decide whether to show that proof or not, dependent upon circumstance.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    amberhen49 wrote: »
    I've seen Italian conductors take issue with people of all nationalities for not validating their tickets on trains. Why bring politics into it?

It might be a genuine mistake and it doesn't sound like it was handled well but these people hear the same excuses every day.

Because apparently now politics have to be brought into absolutely everything, it seems! :rotfl:
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dilby wrote: »
    When I tried explaining that in English a trip usually means return (for example we are each on a trip to Vienna, not two trips) . . . . .
    A trip there and a trip back is just as valid and well used English, or a return trip. I think your assumption has caused the issue but the handling of it could have been better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure