Non Standard base units

Options
Hi there,
As a result of our cowboy builder, our new utility isn't going to be just how we want it. Our back door position means that a standard base unit depth would sit out a few cm over the door opening. The distance between the wall and the edge of the door opening is 54cm. This will also affect standard size worktop depth. The room itself isn't big so we were hoping to get a good deal on units and worktop but I fear due to the funny sizing it won't be that simple! Any ideas or recommendations? I looked up flat pack kitchens but they are expensive!

Comments

• LRW66
    LRW66 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi a standard Howdens unit is 575mm but you have a 60mm service gap at back that can be cut away easily ... leaves you 515 mm plus 20mm for door =535 , t cut back worktop leaves you 5 mm overhang ... tight not impossible though
  • annieb1981
    Options
    LRW66 wrote: »
    Hi a standard Howdens unit is 575mm but you have a 60mm service gap at back that can be cut away easily ... leaves you 515 mm plus 20mm for door =535 , t cut back worktop leaves you 5 mm overhang ... tight not impossible though

Really! That would work, I wonder is this something only some suppliers do? If we order flatpack there is the option to cut down also, but I wouldn't want to be paying a big price for something I could potentially destroy in the process :think:
  • LRW66
    Options
    Be easier to see if it’s fea possible to shorten width of door
  • LRW66
    Options
    Howdens units come pre built you basically lay it on side and trim back to the backing panel .. is 540mmto the frame or edge of architrave?
  • LRW66
    Options
    I fit kitchens ,,, the other option is using wall units and putting legs on them but you loose space , there about 270mm in depth
  • annieb1981
    Options
    Be easier to see if it’s fea possible to shorten width of door

Def not an option unfortunately. External door with window attached. Has already caused problems because said builder messed up gap, threshold etc. If that door is touched again I do not think it would survive and it would cost more than a few kitchen units to replace:cry:
  • LRW66
    Options
    A wall unit if it’s going to be that tight might be the answer depending on layout , you could bring them further out screw the legs to bottom and cut back worktop to a size your happy with, simply put a timber strapped frame on wall to required depth !
  • LRW66
    Options
    Go into Howdens and double check there sizes if you need a account holder message me
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I fit kitchens ,,, the other option is using wall units and putting legs on them but you loose space , there about 270mm in depth

I have also used wall units as base units. Also trimmed down a standard flat pack base unit to fit under a worktop for various reasons. With a router, it is quite easy to cut new slots for the back panels, and the holes for dowels are trivial.
    With the right tools, nothing is impossible.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In for a penny, in for a pound, could you buy another door... and have it fitted so it opens outwards? I know that's a door to buy, but it might be less hassle/cost in the longer term than trying to rethink/change units.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure